Chapter 9

Sonya POV

Ginn said she would be attending the tournaments, with a sparky tall blue girl. I can't remember if he meant sparkly personality or just sparking. Because if it's the second one, I think I see them.

She's loudly hollering at Leif with a pink and red figure watching.

Leif.. I think that was her name?

This may be an issue. Ginn warned me about the blue one, and believed I held a good chance to take her out if I had her by surprise. But 3 is.. a bit much for me. Though I could, given my powers. It was still kinda risky.

They were still in that medic tent. I have to find a way to coax Leif into coming into the forest cover alone.

"Zoey?"

Something throbs at the back of my head, a pressure in the space between my eyes and nose.

I whip around to find a guy standing there, staring at me as if I were a ghost, dumbstruck.

He looks... familiar.. but I can't quite recall.

Perhaps he had been in my life 6 years ago?

I had only woken 4 years ago from a coma that stole 2 years of my life. I couldn't recall anything before that could have left me in that state, and met my saviour who had been sustaining my body's needs for the past years.

The man I owe my life to, Ginn Herin.

He said he found me in the rubble of a village razed to the ground, choking on the ashes that buried me. He said he had been in the area on a task, only to find the destination nothing but a clearing of charred remains.

Apparently I remind him of his late sister.

He had his employer look after me in his lab, keeping me alive with his services.

He worked hard for two whole years for me. A complete stranger who had no clue who I was or what had happened of my home and past.

And still, for these four years, he's watched over me, of course his work is.. inhumane and cruel. But this was what he had to do to survive, and help me survive. Who was I to judge the methods of my saviour.

So I owe my life to him, I offer to help out and work with him, but he won't let me any tasks that include killing.

"I'll let you decide your path in the future," He had reasoned. "I won't expose you to mine."

This is one of the only mission's he's given me. The first, I fact, where I get to do this alone.

The task is simple. Get Leif into the forest alone, tell her to follow me to find Test. Take her to that base 01.

I did not think someone else would approach me.

"Zoey.. are you..?"

His eyes are scanning relentlessly over my face. He reach out, hesitant, seeming to fear if he touched me, I would fade away like a mirage.

"I'm sorry," I murmur. "I think you have the wrong person."

"..."

He continues to stare at me in wonder. I want to tell him again to go somewhere else to find his "Zoey", but..

That name rings in my ears, as if hardwired into me at some point to respond when it was called.

"Zoey, take care of your brother."

"Okay!"

"Dad, I'm older, don't you think it should be the other way around?"

"Hey, she's had years more experience of walking than you."