Chapter Two: A Rescue Plan

A Rescue Plan

Ezra's POV

I was sitting in the rec room of our ship, The Ghost. We were all gathered there. Hera and Kanan had some news, apparently. I wasn't exactly sure what it was, but Sabine, Zeb, Chopper, and I could all agree on one thing (for once) it was important.

"Why'd you ask us to meet here?" Sabine asked as Kanan and Hera entered the room. We all looked expectingly at the two of them.

"We have a new job." Hera announced. We all seemed to perk up at that news.

"What is it?" Zeb asked. "More importantly, how much are we gettin' paid?"

"We aren't getting paid for this job." Kanan replied. Zeb looked shocked, offended even.

"What?" Sabine asked. "We're not getting paid? Why'd you take the job if we aren't getting paid? We need money for fuel and food!"

Chopper beeped in agreement. Everyone began to protest, even me. Kanan quickly shut us up.

"Hey!" He yelled. We all fell silent. He sighed. "This is an important job. It's a rescue mission."

"A rescue mission?" Zeb questioned.

"For who?" I asked. "Who needs rescuing?"

"Her name is Ingrid Krystal, apparently." Hera replied. "The Empire took her into custody yesterday morning for firing at troopers in town."

"Sounds like her problem, if you ask me." Zeb muttered.

Hera didn't stop there. "They plan to execute her today at noon. She's fifteen." Silence.

She's my age.

"Execute? That seems a bit... dark." Sabine commented after a long period of silence.

"Which is why we need to save her." Kanan replied.

"Okay, what's the plan, then?" I asked. "You do have a plan, right?"

"Of course we have a plan," Hera responded. "It involves a... minor distraction." She glanced at Sabine, who smirked.

"I think I can help with that." She said.

"Good. We need to leave right now and get ready." Kanan nodded to Hera, who began to climb up the ladder and into the cockpit.

***

It was later and we were all situated in the town square. We were all in position. Sabine had set up our 'distraction.'

"Is it ready?" I asked her.

"Oh yeah." She replied, smiling. "When Kanan gives the signal, this place is going to go boom."

"I don't know whether I should be impressed or scared." I laughed a little.

"Probably both." She shrugged.

Noon came and a group of stormtroopers came marching into the square with the girl who must be Ingrid Krystal. She didn't look scared, which surprised me. She looked mad, if anything. I glanced across the square at Kanan and he nodded.

We watched as the troopers brought her into the center of the square. People began to crowd around, talking in hushed whispers.

She had her hands tied behind her back. They forced her to her knees. "This is what happens when you defy your Emperor!" One trooper yelled to the crowd. He nodded to one trooper, who stepped forward and held up his blaster.

I scowled.

We looked at Kanan and he held up his hand-- the signal. Sabine nodded and put her helmet on.

The trooper aimed his weapon at Ingrid and was about to pull the trigger, but not before Sabine clicked her button and several stands behind the troopers exploded. They were all thrown forward, Ingrid held her ground and was able to stay in one spot.

The troopers quickly stood up and looked around. There was smoke everywhere, which is where Zeb came in. He ran into the smoke and a few minutes later came back out with Ingrid, she was untied now.

I ran over. "Hera's waiting for us!" I said. "Let's go!"

"Hold on-- who are you people?!" Ingrid demanded.

"The people who just saved your life!" Zeb growled. "A bit of gratitude would be nice!"

We lead her down the streets of Lothal, running from troopers. We finally made it to the Phantom and got in. Hera was waiting in the pilot's seat.

"Is everyone on?" She asked.

"Yeah, go!" Kanan was the last one on. The door closed and Hera took off quickly.

"Is she okay?" Hera asked, referring to Ingrid. She seemed shocked, if anything.

And then she collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

"Er... For the most part." I replied.

"For the most part?" Hera questioned.

"She just passed out." Zeb explained. "Must be from all the smoke inhalation."

Kanan bent down and examined her. "She should be fine, but we need to get her back to the Ghost so she can rest." Hera nodded and we sped off towards the Ghost.

I eyed Ingrid, Zeb had picked her up and laid her gently on the seats. We all had to stand, but that wasn't really a problem.

She had dark hair and tan skin. She was shorter than me, but not by very much, from what I could tell. She was wearing a black top and a brown leather jacket. She had gray jeans and black boots. I couldn't tell what color her eyes were, because they were closed.

She was... pretty.

We got back to the Ghost and docked the Phantom. "Zeb, take her to the medical bay, would you?" Kanan asked. Zeb nodded and picked her up.

"What're we going to do with her once she wakes up?" I asked Kanan as we walked back on to the Ghost.

"We'll explain what's happening and then we'll have to take her to a different planet, she can't stay here. It's too dangerous." He replied.

"What if she refuses to leave?" I questioned. Kanan sighed.

"Then she'll be on her own."

[second chapter is done!! Yay!! Hope you enjoyed it.]