34 - Heads Will Roll

Start from the beginning

He paused, "...It is. But I can make it if I wake early."

He kept moving, and Catherine's mind went along with it. She didn't let him go too long-he was a little slow to make sure she wasn't jostled-before she spoke again.

"You, um... you can sleep here tonight."

He stopped, tilting his head towards her again, "Are you... certain? I thought you left Paola's-."

"I told you that wasn't you. I didn't go because of you," she mumbled back, though kept her face hidden some. A small smile appeared on his mug as he moved yet again, coming to the door. "So... you can stay here to sleep-but no funny business."

"I swear on the Auditore name: no funny business," he chuckled softly as he managed to get the door open and then made the rest of the distance to the bed. There he let her slip off and lie flat, eyes already closed. She honestly was tired after everything and for even what was to come. She managed to stay awake and open her eyes when she heard the young man make a chuckle. He smirked down a little at her, "We won't fit so well if you lie like that."

"Gunna... lie how I... want," she grumbled, but rolled so she was set properly; head on the pillow and legs by the other end. "Just... go other side. Or floor. Whatever. No touchy."

"Not going to change?" he mused, still with a wry tone, as he pulled off his weapons and set them down somewhere. It was dark so she couldn't properly see, but his stupid Vision gave him that advantage. She had already taken hers off some time ago, although her leather armor was still on-habit, really, and the notion of feeling less without it.

"No time... morning. Shush."

He laughed lightly a final time as he moved to the other side and settled down, slinking under the covers. She made a slight sigh as she blearily did the same, managing to remember to kick off her boots at the same time. She kept her back to him, and she was surprised when he made no more comments or any teases or playful touching to rile her up. It was enough to wake her some, and she turned over slowly as her eyes adjusted to the blackness enough to make him out. He was lying flat, his eyes shut and face set in an oddly serene way. His bangs fell over his face some, and his ponytail was smashed against his neck over his hood. She watched for undoubtedly too long, her heart beating a little fast as the urge to reach out to him came over her. She kept her hands close, though, tempering any desires-they were foolish to begin with-and only smiled as she closed her eyes again. They needed their rest after all. A battle was coming tomorrow, and the blue sky would be flushed with red.

-O-

April 26, 1478

Florence, Italy

Catherine quickly grasped her ponytail and wrapped it around itself, tucking it into the band used to hold the rest. It was thankfully tight enough for the job, although not quite up to her old hair tie's strength. That done, she pulled her hood over her face, adjusted her gear, and then looked over to Ezio, who had finished the same. They were staying back from the entry way they had chosen to the open area before the Duomo, waiting until it was closer to time. While they had not been recognized by any guards nor were there wanted posters, they still needed to keep their faces hidden as much as possible. Thankfully, their concealment was the last of the things they needed done. With the rest taken care of earlier today-making sure Leonardo kept low and their allies were in place-they could safely continue on.

"Ready?" Ezio asked, touching her arm briefly. She looked to the entryway where a large crowd had gathered. Already the noise was almost deafening and every so often bells would chime. They had seen guards in red appear here and there, but also those in orange-those allied with the Medici. Their mercenaries had set up around the area rather than arouse suspicion by being too close. The thieves they had seen nothing of, but there was a courtesan who had given them a knowing look; silently saying they would have sanctuary with them. By all means, the coming battle was prepared for, but then again, when was anyone prepared for a battle? The knot in her stomach told her otherwise, and she thought she could feel the Clock warming sometimes or that it gave her a sensation. It only made things worse, and she was beginning to dread today.