Fate Reloaded--Chapter One

Start from the beginning

Okay, can we say creepy? Jordana thought to herself.

And just like that, the smile was gone.

“I guess if that’s all that we have to choose from, it’s not too bad,” Sara said leaning back against the couch and examining her fingernails. “And I guess it could be fun to have the guys tag along.”

Melina beamed as if she’d come up with the idea of the millennium, and Desi glanced over at Jordana with a questioning look.

Jordana didn’t want to ask the question, but she knew there was no getting around it. “What’s it rated?” Jordana asked as nonchalantly as she could.

“Probably ‘R’ since it’s a slasher film,” Sara answered. Then Sara turned her attention to Jordana and stared at her inquisitively. “Why? Is that a problem?”
            “Nah,” Jordana answered quickly. “Just curious.”

Jordana could feel Sara still staring at her, even though she was now looking down at her lap.

“Well, now that that’s settled,” Sara said, getting up from the couch. “I gotta rocket, guys. Mom and Dad will have my ass if I’m not back in time for family fun night.”

She stuck her tongue out as she said this and then looked at the rest of them. Melina and Kaleigh immediately got up from their places on the floor and brushed off their pants.

“We better get home, too,” Kaleigh said, picking up her school bag and following the others to the door.

“Thanks for having us,” Melina called to Jordana and then bounced out the door.

Jordana waved at them and Desi blew them each a kiss as they headed out.

“See you guys tomorrow,” Sara said, before closing the door behind her.

As soon as they were gone, Jordana picked up the nearly empty bag of chips and brought it back into the kitchen. She tossed the bag into the trash, while Desi hopped up and sat down on the counter. Jordana counted as five seconds passed before Desi cleared her throat and started talking.

“So, how do you plan on going to this rated ‘R’ slasher fest tomorrow night?” Desi asked pointedly. “I didn’t realize that The Judge had lifted the movie ban yet.”

Desi of course, was talking about Jordana’s dad, who they had taken to jokingly calling him, “The Judge” whenever he wasn’t around to hear it. The nickname wasn’t so much of a stretch, as her dad was a judge in their town and was also as strict as they came—in and outside of the courtroom. And Desi knew that The Judge wouldn’t allow his 15-year-old daughter to see a rated “R” movie a day before she turned 17.

Jordana had tried to talk her dad out of this absurd rule, but every time she asked, she got the same answer: No way. She knew this time wouldn’t be any different.

“No, he hasn’t budged on the movie thing yet,” Jordana said sarcastically. “But I couldn’t exactly tell them that, could I?”

Desi shook her head, understanding what Jordana was saying. The rest of their friends were cool, but they both knew that Jordana would never hear the end of it if they ever found out. “So, what are you going to do?” she asked Jordana.

“Don’t know,” Jordana answered honestly. “I mean, I could always just not tell the ‘rents that I’m going, and go anyway. Or maybe I’ll just hang around here.” She looked around her kitchen as she said this and then looked back at Desi.

“I can bail on the movie too if you want,” Desi offered sympathetically.

Jordana appreciated the offer, but she knew that Desi hated staying in on Friday nights about as much as Jordana hated Jennifer Lopez’s acting—and singing—skills. She smiled at her friend, and then shook her head.