Chapter Twenty-Four: Cats in Elevators

Start from the beginning

"Secret police thing?"

She nods.

"You guys are not Suppressors?" I ask.

She turns to me fully with a shocked look on her face just as the doors open to a rather noisy floor. "No. Nothing to do with them." She said 'them' rather acidly.

Ok. Not a subject to bring up. But it makes me wonder why X was with a few of them just a month ago...

Mist's voice goes back to being light, "This is one of the personal floors...but it is also the most popular as it's also the diner. We have a really good team that handles the menus."

I look up to see some people talking amongst themselves and immediately go quiet they see Lady...and by extension me.

Mist still walks on, the place at least seemed a little less clinical. The floor was covered in short navy blue carpet and the walls had more of a house like feel to them (like actual creamy-painted walls). But it still felt like dark tunnels and still had the sci-fi metal 'whoosh' doors with the touchpads. I slowly walk passed a few people, following closely behind Mist as she nonchalantly goes right to an open doorway and walks in. Coming inside it was a café styled dining area with large glass wall tinted windows that looked outside, at much the same landscape that Siem's office did. I frown, looking out the window. I felt that if I was left undistracted my attention comes back to the hollow tragic air that this entire city held. A sudden shudder ripped through my spinal cord, like someone just perked up to stare at me. Clear, empty eyes as if disturbed from an eternal dream.

"...- normally have set meal plans but we're allowed to order what we want in the mornings. That's if we're not off on a mission somewhere else of course." Mist continues on, dragging me away from that sudden chill.

I shake myself of the feeling, like a snap from a frozen dream.

"Are you ok?" Mist repeats the question from only a few minutes ago.

"Yeah...I'm ok. Just a little tired I guess."

"Yeah...you have been through a lot. I keep forgetting that...not much a medic am I?"

"Medic?"

She nods, "That's what I'm training for anyway...I like to be as good as Hanna one day."

"She's really that good?"

Her nodding became stronger, "One of the best you could ever meet."

"How old are you, Mist?"

"I'm eighteen."

"And you're out here doing secret police work?"

"I'm not the youngest. Most of us have nowhere to go and are too...different to successfully assimilate ourselves into society or have the capacity to function...so we all wound up following Siem and with that we've been able to survive and help...even though society might view it as unorthodox."

Indeed. Who else would let a boy with an arm that looks like he traded it in for a demon's and his oversized cat that glows in the dark?

"X is practically the poster child of this place," she smiles up at me.

"Why is his name 'X'?" I ask before I could stop myself.

"That's-"

"His actual reference is Subject 10 but it's with roman numerals, so 'X'." Rain grumbles as he stood from a white round table just in front of us. Dammit I didn't see the bastard. The other three people sitting with him all mirrored his haughty expression...well this is going to be fun.