CHAPTER 2: Memories

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 2: MEMORIES

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“Lilah can you sing me a song once more… please.”  Lysander begged her again as he looked up at her face.  She glanced down at him chewing a piece of grass in his mouth as he rested his head upon her lap.   

“But I’ve already sung for you twice.” Lilah argued with the future king.

“I’ll not ask for you to do it again.” he pleaded, his charm winning her over at last.  She could not deny him, his innocence and joy old sway her like no other. 

“Well, I suppose… but what shall I sing Sander?”  The boy frowned in his concentration.

“How about the song of the love between the enchanted one and the human.”

Smiling in spite of herself Lilah turned towards the lilac flowers in the courtyard, which ever since her arrival many of summers before had never stopped blossoming.  She began to hum a lullaby from a different time, a different place.  

She walked alone within his dreams

A perfect vision who could never be

A love that strove to transcend time

And though he knew not what she was

And lo he did not care

She was careful in her thoughts

Lest she betray the Fair

Yet she could not cast him from her mind

And so broke her oath

To the Fair and the Fates and all the Wise

It was their love that gave her hope

But Fate was not kind and neither the Fair

They parted the lovers and cast them aside

The beauty from heaven and the son from man

To walk alone through the sands of time

Lysander smiled with his eyes closed under the willow tree in the courtyard.  

“I hope you never marry, so you can stay with me forever, and never ever leave my side.”  

“Don’t you say such a thing Sander, don't you want me to find love?”

“Yes, of course,” he exclaimed sitting up, “I do hope that you find love… just with me?”

“But I already do love you Sander, you’re my best friend.” Lilah said.

“Well then Lilah…”  Lysander set to work braiding branches of lilacs together and sat Indian style in front of her.

“This means love Lilah, we‘ll be together forever, and you‘ll be my Queen one day.” Lysander said as he placed the garland of lilacs upon her long brown hair.  

“What do we do now Lysander?” Lilah questioned.

Lysander grinned as he stared into Lilah’s eyes.  Leaning forward he whispered, “Promise you won’t hit me.”  Unsure of what Lysander was doing, Lilah nodded her head and agreed.  His face came closer and she could feel his breath warm on her cheeks.  She closed her eyes as Lysander pressed his lips against her own.

 +++++

Lilah sat up in her bed staring at the moonlight streaming in through her room.  It had been so long ago, she was unsure of why she dreamt of Lysander.  Lysander.  He was once her closest friend, and now he was a handsome, strong, courageous man whom she barely knew.  She had heard much about him on the Isle of Kade, but the rumors did him little justice.  He had grown, he had become the man she had never dreamed of and was soon to be the King.  But that didn’t stop her from thinking about his raven black hair falling across his face or his brilliant green eyes that made her weak in the knees.  

She lay back down again twisting onto her side so she could stare out the window at the moon and stars above.  She had never been unsure of what the future would bring, but now it was as cloudy and murky as the Sea of Arsand.  She reached up towards her moonstone clutching it tightly to her chest.  And the visions started to invade her mind.  

The sun was baring down harshly upon her face and she could feel her lips cracking.  She looked all around but could see nothing but golden sands and waves of heat that rose off the desert floor.  When she turned back around, a gilded doorway appeared in front of her.  She could hear the wood whispering but could not understand it’s words, the words of nature; a language that was lost long ago. 

In her hand she felt the cool pressure of a key and glanced down at it’s worn handle.  She moved towards the door, her white silky skirts swirling about her, whipping across her skin, and could feel the heat of the sands burning through her uncovered feet.  As she reached the doorway the desert sands began to swirl about her taking a shape of their own and taking the door away with them.  And just as soon as the sun and the door had disappeared, she blinked and was back upon the bench beside the Pool of Eternity moving away strands of jet black hair, and staring into captivating green eyes.