Prologue

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PROLOGUE

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“The fates granted that my destiny be a travesty, they heralded upon my birth that the life and road ahead of me would be rife with pain, deception and suffering.  The fates insisted that in order to become what the world needed me to be I would first be tested, deemed worthy of the plan that was set in motion thousands of years before my birth.”  

                                                                - Lilah Moonchild

It was on a snowy winters night that the sentry happened upon the child in the woods.  The silver rays of the midnight moon bathed her in the shadows of the ancient oaks as she wandered dreamily through the haunted forest.  The frightened sentry gazed upon the child with both fear and curiosity for the wildwood was said to play tricks on both the body and the mind.  Though discerning from a far that she bore no wings or horns, the sentry boldly took a step towards the girl.  He saw that she was thin and shaking and that she was most unusual, so fearing a curse if he did not help the child, he wrapped her tightly within his blood-red cloak and rode towards the brightly lit castle.  The startled gate master hastened to alert the Guardians whom then woke the peacefully sleeping King and Queen.  The Guardians set her down upon an eastern carpet close to a newly stoked fire within the King and Queens adjoined chamber.  Upon entering the room the queen gazed down at the poor child’s tear stained face along with her bloodied and muddy body and clutched it gently to her own.  The child quickly fell into a deep and silent slumber.  

“Where was the child found?” the King questioned.

“In the haunted wood, sir.” the sentry quietly answered.

The Queen stared at the strange child whom had seen no more than four summers.  Opening the cloak three things were found to be within the child’s possession.  A bundle of crushed lilacs, a silver pendant that housed a strange yet beautiful black and quicksilver stone and a well worn brass key.  The Queen stared in disbelief as the child slightly shifted and she spied upon her back markings that found their way from her tail bone to her slight shoulders.  The markings were of an unfamiliar writing and her back seemed to be the scroll.  The Queen issued a shudder and glanced from the child, to the guardians.

“I’ve never seen such a thing Torin, what is she…” the Queen besieged her husband.

“I’m unsure Adara, I’m unsure.” he murmured as he placed one hand lightly upon his wife’s shoulder.

“I’ll care for her your majesty.” One of the Guardians offered, but the Queen had decided.

“The child stays with me, until we discover who she truly is.” she declared simply and her husband nodded and acquiesced. 

The Queen set out orders to her Guardians and serving maids, to draw a bath and warm the  rooms and bring clothing with which to garb the strange girl.  When next the Queen looked, the child was wide-eyed and observant.  She was a beautiful little girl with long dark brown hair, and her eyes were accented with hues of silver, a deep forest green and a bright and arresting gold.  The Queen stared at the child helplessly until the girl gave her a radiant full toothed smile.  And the Queen knew from that moment that she was special, a child with not only a purpose but a prophesy. 

“What is your name?” the Queen asked the child.

Without an answer, the child held out the crushed bouquet of deep violet lilacs and smiled.  The Queen smiled back and nodded.

“And so Lilah it is, you are Lilah Moonchild of the earth and for the moon on this night.”

The Queen pulled the luxurious orange, red and gold silks over the child, and sang to her a song as ancient as the sea’s and skies, a lullaby made for sleep.  And the little girl drifted yet again into an unknown world as the Queen stared in wonder at the curious child contemplating the things she saw.  But the Queen was not without her magic, she waited until Lilah was in the world of dreams as she touched her hand to the child’s head.  Though try as she might she could not make out much, through Lilah’s visions Queen Adara could see only the brightness of the stars in the blackest of skies.  Sighing in defeat Queen Adara lay quietly next to the girl watching the rhythmic rising and falling of her chest, she was lost in reverie when she heard small footsteps in the room and felt a quick tug to her skirt.  Turning over she spied her raven haired son Lysander.

“Mum, who’s that girl.”  The Queen smiled.

“This is Lilah, and why are you out of bed so late at night?”

“My dream, I dreamt of the moon and she told me to wake.”  Adara stared quietly at her son, knowing now that some of her gift had indeed been passed on to him.

“Come now my son, come up here and sleep.”  The Queen watched as he lithely jumped upon the bed and settled down next to the mysterious girl.  Lysander’s unruly raven hair gently framed his already handsome face.  The Queen knew that in time Lysander would be the hit of the court when he came of age with his rich emerald green eyes and his brilliant smile.  At only six summers, he was fast growing, a gifted fighter, and compassionate, the perfect makings of a King she thought.