CHAPTER 1: Ages

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CHAPTER 1: AGES

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED TO KK

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Many moons had past since Lysander had stepped into the Enchanted Garden.  With the responsibilities of becoming King looming closely overhead, he hardly had time to do much other than train and speak to his advisors of battle strategies and the best ways to keep the southern and eastern ports secure from the Sea Raiders.  

But it was night and the moon tempted him outside for a much welcomed reprieve.  Dressed in a simple white shirt, his black leather riding pants and boots Lysander made his way into the courtyard.  Everything was peaceful and calm, the crickets chirped and he watched as dragonflies drifted lazily towards the Pool of Eternity.  

Lysander paused as the sound of a woman’s voice could be heard.  It was an ethereal voice singing in a tongue that he couldn’t understand.  Lysander made his movements more fluid as he followed the voice until he was under the cover of an ancient willow tree.

The maiden was just as the willow tree, her movements were soft and smooth, and her dark hair tumbled elegantly down covering her lower back.  She was dressed simply in a lavender gown that hung delicately off her shoulders.  The moonlight illuminated her features further as she glanced up towards the heavens.  Her perfectly shaped face was adorned with lips the color of the softest summer palace roses.  Enchanted, Lysander took a step closer catching a twig and breaking it under his boot.  The woman moved even quicker than he imagined as she spun towards the tree.  

“Who is there?”

Lysander walked slowly out from under the willow tree and revealed himself to the stranger.

“Lysander of Arsand, my lady.”  She stared openly as confusion splayed across her beautiful features.

“Lysander… is it really you.” She questioned and then he contemplated her for a moment.

“By the gods…”  He heard himself say as he ran to the lady, clasped her to his chest and spun her around.  

“Lilah, little Lilah could it really be you?  I thought you were still upon the Isle of Kade.”  

He realized his lack of etiquette and gently let her down.  But her laugh was as fluid and rich as palace honey, and he found himself unable to completely let her go.  

“Yes, indeed I was for ten summers, but now I find myself drawn back to the kingdom.  I’ve served the priestesses and learned what I could, and so I have finally found myself back home.”

Lysander stared at her again.  She had left the palace as a girl, his best friend and returned as a beautiful lady, whom enchanted him more than any other lady had within the kingdom.

“Is something wrong, my lord?”

“No, no I’m merely lost in thought, you left a child and have come back a beautiful lady.”

With only moonlight as his lighting he could still make out the blush that crept across her lovely face.

“Surely, you tease, my lord.” she laughed. And he found himself grinning.

“I would never, Lilah Moonchild.”  Time seemed to slow as he moved to hold her closer, felt as their bodies melded together and his lips began to descend closer towards hers… 

“Oh my Lord Lysander, where ever could you be.”  Lilah quickly stepped out of his grasp as the troublesome voice of a lady of the court echoed throughout the once magical courtyard.

“The guards said he came this way.” Came the voice of a second lady.  They would find him soon enough.  Lysander was going to have to deal with those guards eventually. 

“My Lord.” the girls said in union, curtseying.  

Upon rising they spied his exquisite companion and could do nothing more than stare.  Lysander knew that by the time the morrow came, gossip would fill the halls and ladies from all over the kingdom would be discussing the beauty by his side. 

“Lady Geneva, Lady Audrey…”  He nodded as they swept their glances from him to Lilah.

“May I introduce the Lady Lilah Moonchild of the Isles of Kade.”  

They both dipped their curtseys as Lilah managed hers not so ostentatiously.

Having little else to say to him or the lady, both court doxies left silently murmuring the respectful, “my lord” and “my lady”.  He found Lilah sitting casually upon the mosaic tiles of the Pool of Eternity letting her hands glide gently across the surface of the water.  He could see the reflection of the stars from the water.  Slowly she turned back to him.

“I believe it was time that I take my leave, sleep well Lysander.”  she curtseyed and offered her hand which Lysander took, not ready to let her go yet.  He felt the softness of her skin, the smooth strength that emanated from her and kissing it ever so softly whispered upon her knuckles.

“Sweet dreams.”  

She left then walking noiselessly across the courtyard back to the castle.  He watched the way she left long after she was gone.  He smiled despite himself as he set off in the other direction willing himself to embrace the rest of the night and not follow after the lady whom he had once known so well.  He had loved her once, he was a child then and his yearning was innocent, but now he knew that there was a reason she was back, a reason why she was in his life once more.

+++++

Walking up the stairs to his luxurious chambers he began to remember the day she left for the Isle of Kade.  They lay together on the grass right outside of the palace, and he noticed the tears that streamed down her face.

“What is the matter Lilah?”

“They’re coming to take me away from you, Sander.”

“What do you mean.” He questioned.

“They’ve decided my fate, they’re sending me away.” Her voice broke.

“No.  They can’t send you away, you belong here, this is your home.”  He had long ago learned to not to question when Lilah knew something.  She had a way about her, the ability to know things that she couldn't quite possibly know, see things that weren't actually there.  

“They’re coming, now.”

He had grabbed her hand and started to run into the forest he knew so well.  They had hid until nightfall where the hounds had finally sniffed out their hiding spot.  The next day they had put her on the royal ship and he felt his heart break as he saw her sail off into the unknown.  After that day he dedicated himself to war, to fighting, and he had become the very best at it too.  And as he settled himself down into his bed he thought of who he really was; the boy who had been broken or a man of war.