Chapter 6: Shots fired

Cedar was resting in his den when he noticed Mist was gone.

"Where's Mist?" Cedar asked Glory.

"She went outside of camp for a bit." Glory said.

"Alone?" Cedar asked concerned,"it's dangerous to be out alone."

Glory shrugged,"She wanted too. I'm going to try and sleep again if you don't mind me." She faced the other direction. Cedar stood up and walked out of the den. The stream was rushing past over rocks and splattering him with water droplets. He moved away from it and looked to the sky. It was already getting dark outside and the color in the sky was darkening to black. Cedar walked towards the camp exit and slipped out snagging his paw on a thorn. He winced at the pain and pulled it out. He limped a bit as he picked up Mist's scent trail but soon was walking more efficiently. The moon shone overhead and the stars twinkled. It led out of camp and he followed it. The trees cast shadows making the trees look as if they were reaching for him. He trudged on and past the creek. The crickets were chirping and the frogs were croaking. He spotted Mist sitting down in the moonlight. It cast it's glow on her turning her fur silver. She turned her head a bit and spotted him. She looked startled but then she gave him a warming look.

Click

"Hey-" She began.

"Move!" Cedar yelled and leaped at her.

He shoved her the side and she quickly sat up. He could hear paw steps running towards him from the way he came.

Crack!

He felt an unbelievable pain sear through his leg and he fell to the ground.

"Cedar!" He could faintly hear Mist calling him over the ringing in his ears. He saw the legs of a human in the corner of his blurred vision. There was a ferocious snarling and the human fell to the ground struggling to get away from its attacker. Suddenly he was hoisted up on Glory's shoulders and Mist quickly came over to help her. They started dragging Cedar away. He could see his own blood trail being smeared behind him and a wolf attacking the human. His vision suddenly darkened and he was gripped in unconsciousness. He blinked his eyes open only to be blinded by the bright light of day. He saw Glory,Mist,Kujo,Prairie,and the wolf standing over him. Flower was laying down on the far side of the den with her eyes partially closed. Mist and Glory both looked horrified. He flicked his gaze away from them and looked at Kujo and Prairie who were talking urgently. The wolf was soothing Glory and Mist.

"Cedar's awake." The wolf said glancing at him.

"I'll go get some things for this." Prairie said making her way to the exit.

"I'll come with." The wolf said,"it's not safe out there."

"Thanks,Silver." Prairie said and they both left.

"Calm down,Glory." Kujo said trying to calm her.

"Calm down? How am I supposed to be a guardian if I can't even protect my own brother!" Glory wailed. Flower pricked her ears. She didn't know what Glory's special destiny would be.

"Guardian?" Mist asked.

"It's nothing,Mist." Kujo said.

"It is something!" Glory snapped,"You can't hide it forever so we might as well tell her now. Oh I have an oh so great destiny." Kujo glared at her,"Glory,you say one more word I'll send you out of here."

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't know you even cared. After all you are trying to keep me from it." Glory glared at him flicking her tail.

"Leave. You can see Cedar later but we'll have to talk about this first." Kujo said. Glory muttered something inaudible and stalked out of the den.