Chapter 2: Water fun

Oakley opened his eyes to feel warm sunlight filtering onto his fur. He looked around and saw Cedar beside him. Where was Glory? As if on cue Glory walked in. Oakley's eyes fell on her twisted paw.

"What happened to your paw?" Oakley asked as Cedar woke up beside him.

"I tripped last night." Glory said. It seemed as if she wasn't telling him something. Cedar sniffed her paw,"will it go back to normal?" Glory shook her head,"my paw will be like this forever,sadly."
Oakley blinked at his sister,"Why were you out last night?"

"I-I was thirsty. Yeah that's why." Glory stuttered.

"Mom and dad don't let us go out alone at night. Who was with you?" Oakley probed. Glory looked frustrated,"Dad."

"Oakley,chill. You act as if she is an undercover traitor." Cedar said. Glory turned tail,"I'm going outside if you need me." With that she walked off.

"Nice going,bro. Now she's mad." Cedar said and stood up. Oakley sighed,"I feel like she's not telling us something."Cedar shook his head,"I don't know how to explain you. You're just weird in the head." Cedar ran after Glory,"hey wait up!" My own brother and sister wouldn't even understand the things I've been hearing and seeing lately. It's all so confusing. He thought. Oakley narrowed his eyes in thought.

Come join us Oakley. You know you want to. A voice said.

Don't listen to her. Another said.

Oakley come play with us. The first one said again. There it was again. The voices. Penetrating his mind and thoughts again. He had no idea what they could mean but they creeped him out. He was also seeing mist figures that would appear out of no where as well. Some were dark and some were light. He couldn't understand why only he saw them. He usually saw a light white one with his dad but she didn't seem to do any harm. Twig walked into the den and plopped down on the nest.

"Why are you still inside,dear? Don't you want to go play with your friends?" Twig asked.

"Mom,am I weird?" Oakley asked.

"Everyone is weird in their own way,Oakley. Some more or less but not everyone is the exact same. That's why you're special because you can give off a light no one else can." Twig said looking into Oakley's orange eyes.

"But I feel as if there is something different about me that separates me from siblings and friends that no one would understand." Oakley said letting out a sigh. Twig wrapped her tail around him,"maybe when you become old enough to be trained you'll figure out who you really are. It's not to far from now you know."

"Thanks,mom. I'll think about it." Oakley said and licked Twig's ear. He then ran out the den into the warm sunlight. He spotted Glory and Drop laying in the shade of a bush. Frost was walking over to them. Mist and Cedar were talking up and storm. Oakley spotted Kujo and Pebble discussing something. Prairie was bringing a vole,that she had caught,to the den she shared with flower. Shyla,Sandy,and Autumn were playing in a stream that was near the camp entrance. From the looks of it everyone else was taking cover from the heat. Drop spotted Oakley and said bye to Glory and Frost. She walked over to him,"look who finally decided to get up." She said playfully nudging him in the shoulder.

"Hey,I'm not that lazy." Oakley defended himself though he had a glint of humor in his eyes. Drop pawed at him as of to say: yeah right. Oakley looked up at the trees.

"The leaves are turning green." He observed. Drop looked up,"I like to try and spot the different greens. You should see the trees in the cold season though. Not to pretty then." That was weird. Drop acted as if she had seen the trees with no leaves.

"See that one. It's much darker than the other leaves." Drop managed to entertain herself with anything.

"Yeah. Drop,do you think I'm weird?" Oakley asked. Drop stopped looking at the leaves and turned to face him.He turned his head to look at her.

"No,Oakley. There is nothing wrong with you." Drop said firmly. Oakley was surprised about the firmness in her voice.

"Well I'll catch you later. I promised to beat Frost in a race." Drop said and walked off. A dark figure caught Oakley's eye. Standing by a tree was another one of those misty figures. It was a dark one and Oakley didn't like the look of interest it was giving him. He tried to look away but it was as if it had him on some kind of hold. It began to walk toward him but then Kujo ran through it.

"Hey,bud. Why you all alone?" Kujo asked.

"It's so hot out." Oakley panted.

"Why don't you go play in the stream?" He asked.

"Okay." Oakley said and bounded over to Shyla,Sandy,and Autumn. They were laying down drying their fur out. He didn't want to get them wet so he waded into the stream. It was up past his belly fur and only his head surfaced. This stream was a bit deep.

"It's like Oakley is the only pup who has manners." Oakley overheard Sandy say.

"Yeah..." Shyla trailed off enjoying the sun. Autumn stood up and waded into the stream after Oakley.The fur was past her belly fur too considering she was almost as small as he was. She grinned and sprayed water at him. Oakley splashed water at her with his tail. She put her snout underwater and gurgled. Oakley laughed and did the same. Suddenly he saw the dark figure again and it was swimming right toward him. It reached him and he was thrust underwater. The water went up his nose and down his throat. He tried to breath but all he got was water. His lungs were burning with the effort. He pulled his head up and saw Glory charging across the clearing. Before Autumn,Sandy,or Shyla could react she dove into the water. His head went under again and he felt Glory grab his scruff. She pulled him above the surface as everything went black.