Chapter 5: A new discovery

Oakley looked up at the sky while Drop continued to speak. She wouldn't shut up about something about a wolf's tail compared to a fox's tail.

"Our tails are way better I mean look at this! Who could not want a sleek and bushy tail like ours." Drop said waving her tail around.

"Hey,Drop. You want to go eat something? I could use something to eat. My ears need more energy to listen to you." Oakley said heading towards their den.

"Hey! I don't talk that much!" She said and followed him. They both slipped inside. Oakley saw the rabbit he and Drop had caught earlier. Winter had taught them how to work in a tag team to hunt and they did well. Oakley walked over to their rabbit and laid down.

"Let's eat this." He said and took a bite. Drop joined him and they soon finished the rabbit. Midnight was sitting in a dark corner and they hadn't noticed her.

"Boo." Modnight said casually. Drop and Oakley flinched.

"Don't scare us like that!" Drop exclaimed and Oakley nodded. Midnight rolled her eyes,"Don't count on it."

"Do you two want to go for a walk in the forest? I want to explore." Oakley proposed. Drop perked her ears up and a grin spread across her face,"Of course!"

"Whatever I'll tag along." Midnight said after a few moments of anticipation. Oakley and Drop poked their heads out of the den and peeped around.

"What's taking so long? I would be happy if you'd get your butts out of my face." Midnight grumbled. They crawled out and Midnight came after them and leaped at them in a mock fight.

"This is what you get for that!" She declared and licked Drop's nose. Drop squealed.

"She licked my nose!" Oakley backed up but she got him too.

"Alright now let's get a move on." Midnight said and trotted toward the camp exit. She left and they followed her out gazing around.

"What shall we do first?" Oakley asked.

"I want to try and hunt some of the prey around here." Midnight said.

"Yeah. That way the next to train us can see the hunting skills we acquired." Drop said.

"Okay. I'm going to the creek I found earlier." Oakley said.

"I'll come with." Midnight said.

"I'm going to the rabbit burrows and practice hunting underground." Drop said and sped away. Oakley stared after her. Rabbit burrows? Since when did she find those? Oakley thought. Oakley shook his head to clear his mind. He realized Midnight had already headed off and he had to run to get to her. They walked quietly for quite some time.

"How much do you think you really know Drop?" Midnight broke the silence.

"What do you mean?" Oakley asked confused by the question.

"It was nothing." Midnight said shaking her head. When they reached the creek Oakley could here the croaking of toads and chirping of crickets. He walked over and waded in. Midnight followed him but a little way off. Oakley stared into the shining surface of the water and saw his reflection. He spotted movement in the water and dove his snout in picking up a crayfish in his jaws. He brang it ashore as it tried to pinch his nose. He cracked his teeth into it and killed it. He broke open it's endoskeleton and ate the meat on the inside. He saw Midnight eating a toad.

"I'll never get how she can eat that stuff." Oakley said shaking his head. He finished the crayfish and left the remains for any scavenger to take for itself. He walked over to Midnight as she took her last bite. She licked her jaws and looked up at him.