18. Is This It?

Is This It?

Jade followed closely behind Blaire as she tapped her cane over to the back door of the Chill. She sat herself down in the same spot she had sat during that first party and he sat next to her. He watched as she flopped the backpack that she had brought from indoors onto the table and pulled out her Ipad. She plugged herself into it and began to listen to something.

“What are you listening to?” he asked her, honestly curious.

“A book,” she replied nondescriptly. She must not have it on very loud because she seemed to have heard him perfectly.

“Well no shit Sherlock, but what book?” She only glared in his direction for a moment before turning away and ignoring him completely. Why was it he always seemed to get on this girl's bad side?

She had her elbow propped up on the table and her cheek rested in her palm. She lifted the hair that had fallen over the other side of her face with the fingertips on her free hand and swept it behind her ear gracefully. Then she placed her hand back on the table, palm faced down. Her eyes closed slowly.

Everything about her was so graceful, so princess-like, despite how clumsy she could be at times. Her cheeks were flushed in the chilly air as the summer weather had finally begun to pass. A gust of wind blew her hair about her face and she had to sweep it behind her ear again. Her thin lips puckered slightly, subconsciously and her lashes fluttered before her eyes came to a full close once more.

Her hands were so small and dainty like those of a child. They looked so soft. He was then overcome by a strong urge to touch her. Not in a sexual way or anything like that. He just wanted to touch her.

Without thinking he lifted his hand from his lap and placed it on top of hers. She jumped with a yelp and tried to snatch her hand from his, but it fit too perfectly. He couldn't let her take it from him.

“Hey,” he said, taking her hand into both of his now and stroking it gently, “I'm not going to hurt you, Princess.” Then something happened. Something he should have foreseen. Something he should have been more consciously avoiding. Something he knew deep inside was bound to happen eventually, though he refused to listen. He was just beginning to get comfortable with the idea that it might never happen. He should have been more careful.

Her eyes widened impossibly large and she just gaped in his direction with her disconcerting eyes. Her jaw fell open and it was obvious something monumental was running amok in her head. He still held her hand in his but it had gone rigid. Her other hand went to her throat, like she was searching for something that should have been there. He stroked the back of her hand with his thumb once before he began to really worry.

“Blaire?” he could feel his voice shake.

“I–I,” she stuttered then pulled her hand out of his in one swift motion, “I n–need to go.” She snatched up her Ipad and backpack and was out of sight within moments. He was too shocked to follow her. Too shocked to even register what had really just happened. So he sat in the chair and stared blankly at the closed door she had run through with only one thought on his mind. Is this it?