13. The Quiet

The Quiet

After a slightly unsatisfying spin with Crissa, Jade left the room. She followed him out, he got her a drink and then he ditched her. That was as much of a gentleman as he was willing to be. He made another drink this time with lemonade instead of punch and took it to Jasmine Kramer.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing alone and without a drink in her hand at a party like this?" he asked confidently, holding out the drink to her.

"Grace ditched me to talk to some Exeter High hottie," she pouted.

"She doesn't sound like such a great friend," he told her. She took the cup from him and took a large gulp.

"Don't talk about my best friend like that," but her command didn't hold much threat.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

"Whatever." She was obviously down. Girls that were down were so much easier to get into bed with.

"C'mon, let's go somewhere we can talk," he yelled over the music.

"No."

"I don't want to take advantage of you or anything but I can tell something is upsetting you." She looked up at him curiously and he could see the internal battle within her through her eyes. She sighed visibly and stood up. He led her to the same room he had been in with Crissa just minutes ago. She sat on the bed and he sat beside her, but not too close. He didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"You shouldn't let her push you around, you know," he told her, "If something she does bothers you, you need to let her know. If she is a true friend, she will understand." She nodded and then started to cry. He knew then that he couldn't do her. He may be a player but he wasn't the kind of guy to take advantage of a girl in such an emotional state.

He took her into his arms and let her cry it out. He liked to think he was a good guy. Deep down, anyhow. She was all wrong anyways. She had this awful mole on her shoulder that had a single dark hair growing out of it and she really wasn't all that pretty up close. She wore way too much makeup and her hair smelled funny. He comforted her anyways. After awhile she wiped her eyes and told him she was going to go find a ride home. He waited a minute after she left the room so that she wouldn't feel awkward and then went to go look for the queen.

He spotted her immediately. Crissa was chatting with her animatedly and Grace was fuming. It was really quite comical. He knew that if he got her alone, she would give in to him. He started towards her but stopped in his tracks. Karen and Blaire had just walked in. Blaire looked incredible.

He looked back at Grace and got a bad taste in his mouth when he thought of what they could do. She seemed too skinny all of a sudden. Freakishly skinny. And her hair lacked color and fell on her head like a limp mop. Everything about her was fake and repulsing. His desire for her died to a complete nothing.

Blaire was being pulled through the crowd by Karen who was being led by Diego to the drink table. He made them each a drink. Something in Jade's stomach clenched tightly as Diego handed her the plastic cup. He made his way to her.

"Hey, Princess," he said loudly so she could hear him.

"Jade," she replied somewhat curtly.

"Wanna go outside?" His body was being pretty persistent about not wanting to get with Grace so he decided he would just go chill with someone. Blaire always entertained him. When he pissed her off, of course.

"Why?"

"So we don't have to yell." Actually it was because it seemed so incredibly stuffy and humid in the Chill all of a sudden that he felt like he could barely breathe. The people around him were sweaty and far too loud. They seemed to be getting constantly closer as well. He needed some fresh air.