Chapter 27: I Can't Make You Love Me

Start from the beginning

"Oh, sorry. Are you hurting me with telepathy or something?"

The dickface took a deep shaky breath, obviously trying to control his rising anger. I seriously needed to come up with a nickname for him. I was running out of colorful nouns.

"I meant being beaten by Scout," he cleared up, "yet again."

What the fuck is he trying to say now?

"He didn't beat me in anything," I snorted.

"He got your girl," he smirked. "It's funny how they always end up choosing him. But no, that's not the real problem." He paused to shake his head. "The truth is, you're torn."

My jaw clenched. But I quickly composed myself.

"Can you stop acting like my shrink? It's getting fucking annoying."

He smiled crookedly. "Gotta make up your mind. Or you'll lose them both."

This sorry ass fucker was the last person on the planet I was opening up myself to. Heh. Maybe it was time to turn the spotlight on him.

I whistled. "Man, I'm surprised you're so damn chill about this." I shrugged sheepishly. "After all, you've had a thing for Snow since forever."

His smile faded, making the corner of my lips turn up.

"You had to watch her be with me day after day, for months." I shook my head in fake sympathy. "That must've been pure torture."

"You have no idea," he hissed, through gritted teeth. His good guy facade thrown out the window. Gotta say, looking like a villain didn't suit him.

"How does it feel though, being stuck on the sidelines?" I leered, cocking my head. "I would've felt pretty fucking useless if I were you, even incompetent. But it all goes down to one word." I stepped closer, and added harshly, "Pathetic."

He stayed quiet. I smirked.

"Sucks being invisible, huh?"

With one last look, I stepped away and turned for the exit.

I didn't let it show, but the dick got into my head. Now I couldn't stop thinking about my past and my present. I knew I shouldn't be thinking about it. I didn't fucking want to.

I stopped walking and held on to the lockers on the side of the hall. With a free hand, I rubbed my face. I took a deep breath in hopes of clearing my head. It was all just so goddamn overwhelming, making me wanna barf from the nausea.

With all that's happening, this is the last thing I need to think about.

Get a fucking grip, Oz.

Raising my head, I straightened up. I decided that nothing else mattered but what was happening right now. And right now, I had a girlfriend I needed to find.

I headed to the music room on the other side of the school. I figured that would be the place Halo would be at. When I got there and slightly opened the door, I immediately heard her singing. I didn't wanna interrupt her. So I lowered my hand and leaned my back on the wall, staying outside to listen in.

"I'll close my eyes, then I won't see . . ."

She sounded sad.

"The love you don't feel when you're holding me . . ."

It was fucking heartbreaking.

"Morning will come, and I'll do what's right . . ."

My chest felt heavy all of a sudden.