Chapter 7

Chapter 7

For about a week, I try my best to avoid Jaime and Vic. I didn't know what to do, I didn't even know what I would say to either of them. I dropped by Tony's way after practice and delivered the poster and flyer copies that I had prepared. All my phone calls were redirected to voice mail and immediately deleted. I made a priority to lock all the windows and keep all the curtains shut in the house. Also, when anyone rang the doorbell, I would basically hide under a table beside the front door. I knew this could not go on forever and eventually Vic got a hold of me while I was taking out the trash. 

"You haven't been answering my calls." 

"Go away, Vic." 

"Look. Hey. HEY, KAYLA." 

"Shut up, the neighbors will hear you." 

"Will you just hear me out?" 

"No." 

"Look, I know. I know, okay. I know what I did was uncalled for and wrong and just stupid." 

"Very. Very very very very stupid." 

"Yeah, I know." 

"You are making me look really bad, Vic." 

"I know. And. And I'm sorry." 

"Fuck your sorries." 

"Kayla, please." 

"What am I going to do? What am I going to say to Jaime? I haven't spoken to him yet, at all. I don't even know how to act in front of him. You just, you just." 

"Just what?" 

"You just. You just think it's okay to do whatever you want. You don't even think about how it would effect another person. You don't, you don't." 

Vic rooted to his spot, looks at his feet. 

I bite my lip. "I didn't. I don't mean it in a harsh way but. Jaime is one of your bestest friends, Vic. How, how could you do this to him? How could you make me do this to him?" 

"I know. I know. I know. I know." 

"Look, come inside," I open the door for him and we both take a seat at the kitchen counter. I fill two glasses of water and set them in front of us. 

"What do we do?" 

"I don't know. I don't know what to do, I don't. I just. I don't want to hurt him, Vic. I don't." 

"You... You care about him, don't you?" 

I keep quiet for a moment. Did I? I never really thought about my feelings for Jaime before. I hold onto my glass, firmly, "Yeah. Yeah, I guess I do." 

Vic cradles his head in his hands. "What have I done?" 

"WE both did it. I am to be blamed just as much as you." 

Vic looks up at me. I look back at him. He leans forward and kisses me.  

"What the hell, Vic?" 

"I just, I just wanted to do that, okay," he leans forward to kiss me again. 

"Vic, stop it!" 

"I can't help it. Kayla, I've liked you for a really long time. Since... Since, pretty much forever." 

"Well, you should have told me that earlier." 

"I know but." 

"And you were the one who asked me if I would be interested in Jaime, in the first place." 

"I know, I know." 

The phone rings. Beep, beep. Beep, beep. Vic looks at me, "Aren't you going to answer it?" I stare at it then slowly reach over the counter and pick it up. I exhale. "Hello?" 

"KAYLA?! Kayla, what's wrong? Where have you been?" Jaime is on the other line. 

"Home, um just sick and yeah." 

"You haven't been answering the door or the phone for four days. I'm coming over now." 

"No, no no. Don't, I'm just. It's better if you don't." 

"Well, too late to change your mind now. I'm at your door." 

"What?!" 

"Yeah, I've been staking out at your house every 3 hours for the past 4 days, calling and waiting." 

"You shouldn't have. Just. Look, Jaime, go home." 

"Open the door." 

I feel a huge throbbing pain in my head. I cover the mouth of the phone and whisper to Vic, "Jaime, is at the fucking door." 

"Well, what are you gonna do?" 

"I don't know." 

"Open it." 

"NO." 

Vic walks over to the door and swings it open. Sitting on the front steps of my porch was Jaime. He looks up and sees Vic, "Vic, what the fuck are you doing here?" 

Vic turns and looks at me. 

I glare at Vic and rush to Jaime and hug him. He smells my hair and kisses my cheek, "I missed you, a lot. I haven't been sleeping much. I thought you got run over or something." 

I kiss him, "No, just. I haven't been feeling myself." 

Jaime cups my face with his hands and we start kissing right in front of Vic. I guess Vic looked away but stayed where he was and Jaime carried on as if he wasn't even there. I pull myself from him. "Look, I got. I got loads of stuff to do for your next show so you guys should head on to practice." Jaime kisses me. Vic walks out of the door. Jaime turns around and calls after Vic. "Hey, Vic, I'll give you a lift. C'mon," Jaime looks back at me and mouths, "I'll call you." 

I smile and look at Vic, he turns and gives me a disappointed look. I feel bad and shut the door. "What am I going to do?" I go up to my room and pretty much sleep throughout the rest of the day. 

Beep, beep. Beep, beep. "Hello?" I hear my mom answer the phone at about 8 o'clock at night, "Yes, oh, Vic. How nice is it to hear from you, sweetie." Vic?! Shit. I race downstairs. "Oh yes, well she's awake now," my mom spots me at the foot of the stairs and hands me the phone. 

I gulp and sit down on the stairs, "Vic?" 

There's a pause on the other line, "I told him."

Dun dun DUN cliff hanger sorry don't hate me