Chapter 3

Chapter 3

How did I get here? I don't even know what made me say yes, but I did. I mean, it's not like Jaime isn't decent looking or anything. He was pretty sincere when he asked me out.

"So, um, Kay, doing anything um.. I mean what's your plan for the weekend? I mean yeah, um"

"Pretty much, same old stuff... you?"

"Oh yeah, same old, same old yeah. Um me? I was just, kinda, sorta thinking, maybe... you can say... I mean, you can or you won't or maybe, uhm."

"Uhm yeah?"

"The new um, Predator movie is coming out and I really wanna watch it and, you look like the type of chick who, you know, digs alien-robot sexy time action?"

"You're asking me out?"

"I mean you can say no, it's cool. I'll go with Tony and his um, person."

"No, I mean. Yeah I'd like to go watch Predator with you, Jaime."

"Serious? I mean, in a good way serious not a bad way serious. Cos yeah, um never mind."

"Yeah, I uh guess, it's serious. I'm serious, I mean. Yeah, Predator sounds good and I like robot-alien sexy time and yeah."

"I mean, it's a date right? I mean, of course it is, I mean."

"Yeah, I guess it's a date. It is, isn't it? It's Saturday right?"

"Saturday yeah yeah. Uhm, I'll pick you up at?"

"Around 7:30?"

"Okay, okay cool. The seven-three-oh, got it."

"Yeah, haha. Uhm, yeah gotta go."

"Oh same, yeah."

"Cool, I guess. See you on Saturday."

"Yeah Saturday."

It was kinda cute then he tripped on a brick. This is my official first date. I guess and yeah, I'm kinda freaking out. What do I wear or are we going around to his place later or what if we meet Vic too? And what about that girl, Shirley? Forget about Vic, dammit. This is your chance to get over him. Plus Jaime really likes you so yeah, stop it, Kayla.

I pull out some clothes that look clean (which aren't that many). Basically a spread of tshirts and jeans and tshirts and jeans and tshirts and jeans. Will Jaime, expect me to wear something a little more feminine or just wear the stuff I do on a regular basis? This is confusing. I eventually pull out a black tank and a pair of new Cheap Monday jeans, shove my feet some blue Vans and tie a black sweater around my hips. I'm kinda nervous about the date, even though I'm not sure about my feelings for Jaime. My stomach's all weird and gooey and I have a little jittery feeling in my fingers. Is it supposed to be this way? I can barely draw my eyeliner on without poking my eyes and decide that putting on mascara would be a nightmare. I do my eyebrows a little and I'm good to go.

"Mom?" I call out and of course, no answer. I check the fridge; gone out, don't wait up xxx. Ew, why does she do that with the xs? I know it means she's going out with her boss again and not coming home till tomorrow afternoon. Ew, why do I have that image in my head now?

The kitchen clock says 7:25 when the doorbell goes off. I walk to the door, stop, check myself in the mirror and adjust my bangs, exhale and reach for the doorknob. Jaime on the other side of the door, with his red Slipknot shirt and beaten up jeans, smiles, "Hey, I almost thought I got the address wrong."

I smile back, "Yeah uhm, so we're going now?"

"Yeah."

I close the door behind me and Jaime leads me into his red convertible. It looks really clean and it's even got cup holders. "Wow, cup holders," I say. He laughs, "Yeah, Dad, got it for me. I guess it was like a 'Sorry I slept with my secretary and you walked in on us so can we keep this hush hush?' present." I gulp and don't know what to do. "Bummer, sorry," I say. He looks surprised and raises his eyebrow, "Sorry? No, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. It's kinda funny." The air gets awkward. He starts the engine.

I browse through his cds and put on a Blink-182 one and play track 12, "The Rock Show". Jaime beats to the rhythm on the steering wheel and I nod as we turn down 6 blocks and two right turns. He finds a great parking space a couple of feet away from the movie theater. We both get out and he locks his car. "M'lady?" he offers his arm to me. I laugh and hold on to it.

The night was pretty great, actually. The movie was great and his jokes were hilarious, I even kinda cuddled into his shoulder. I was having such a good time. After the movie, we walked down the road to get some grub. We had pizza and nachos and he picked out all the olives for me and made a little smiley face with them, we even had milkshake mustaches. I guess, I kinda thought things were starting to turn up the way I wanted them to.

At the end of the night, he took me to his place just to kinda chill. Plus I didn't want to be alone and he had a pretty decent video game collection. Jaime's dad is a pretty successful business man, he lives in a big house on the more privileged side of town. His house is huge. "Make yourself at home, I guess. Mom's gone out of town and Dad is well.... you know."

We go up to his room, it's immaculately clean and all his posters are kind of sorted into one area of his room. His desk is organized and he even has an event planner and everything. I check his closet.

"Wow, suits and ties. Fancy."

"Yeah, sometimes I have to go out to one of my parent's functions and events. I clean up pretty good," he sits on his bed and scrolls through his iphone.

I close his closet door and ransack his video game shelves. "Amazing, you've even got every single version of Sims."

"Yeah, big fan."

"How do you afford all this junk?"

"Dad."

"Right. Your room is so clean, the heck?"

"I got a maid, she comes in everyday."

"Woah. You should see my room. Even Vic can't find his way through it and he's been there so many times."

There's a weird silence. "I'd like to see your room."

"Maybe."

"I got some Bless the Fall posters that I don't really dig, thought you might like them."

"Really? Wow, how'd you know?"

"You always wear their band shirt."

A light bulb goes off in my head, did I actually convince myself that Jaime really, truly liked me? I turn and sit on his bed.

"Um, Jaime?"

"Yeah?" he says without looking up from his iphone.

"Do you really like me?"

He hesitates, but still does not direct his eyes away from the screen. "Yeah, I really do. I have. For a long time."

I feel myself turn red and I stare at my thumbs. I can't think about what to say or what to do. When I get the correct words, they don't fit together.

"Kayla."

I look up. Jaime kisses me. And I don't know if I should, but I kiss him back.