Part Nineteen: A Master Dyer

During the next seven years, the apprentice wrote often to his dear parents, enquiring of their well-being and that of his many siblings. He saved what little money he could spare from his earnings to journey home during holydays, especially at Christmastime. This family occasion was a time of plenty, but gifts of a large, fat London goose and enormous plum pudding from their son were welcome additions to the family feast.

At twenty-five, Ben was elevated to the position of Master Dyer himself and was sworn in to the Worshipful Company of Dyers in that year, 1658.

His diligent accounting and moderation in all things, together with a small, though generous, loan from Master Sharpe, made it possible for Ben to be Master in his own business. He rented a modest lodging with dye house attached; his landlords were the Gillams, the benevolent trustees of 'The Children of Thamesis'.

The Gillam twins, Caddell and Caddoc, were as two peas in a pod for it was impossible to distinguish one from the other. The Welsh born brothers had journeyed from their Cowbridge home to the great metropolis in 1636 and brought with them their skill and expertise in the dying of fine silk.

At the time they were young men of eighteen and already accomplished dyers having learned their trade from their father. He had urged them before his untimely demise to seek their fortune in London. Their modest premises belied their wealth. Their craft was second to none, and only the very rich could afford such a rare commodity as Cadell and Caddoc’s exquisite dyed silks. Thus, the brothers reaped a most lucrative trade.

Neither of them ever married, being consumed with, and as it were married to, their trade. But their compassion and love of children was second to none. They bestowed a great deal of their wealth for the charitable good of the unfortunate abandoned children, or Children of Thamesis as they were labelled.

In 1648, the brothers had purchased an acre of land at the east end of Thames Street, close by the Tower, upon which they had built a foundling home, which was named ‘Tributary House’, for the river children.

Once taken into care, these poor forsaken young wretches were washed, clothed and fed by women specially employed by the brothers for their kind-heartedness and skill in teaching the children their letters. And thus ‘The House’ was the orphans’ only home until they reached adulthood, when they would be offered employment and liberty to leave.

Akin to their father, the twins suffered periodic bouts of infirmity and sadly both died in their fortieth year. Caddock predeceased Caddell by just a day. Their Wills stipulated that their entire fortune of some five thousand pounds would continue to fund and help 'The Children of Thamesis' and further, that their premises were not to be sold, but accordingly used by tenant dyers. And so, the building stood as monument to the brothers’ work, with a guaranteed income for their beloved charity. The last item in their Wills stated that an elaborate carved wooden plaque be commissioned and inscribed ‘Gillam House’ and be affixed above the door of the dye house premises.