Part Two: The Young Cadaver

Funereal had flatly refused to attend in person due to the lateness of the hour and the warmth and comfort of his bed. His instructions therefore to Greystone were that the body be put in the coffin and in turn placed in the inn’s cold cellar until later that morning. Then, and only then, would he be willing to arrange for the burial, provided his terms were paid in advance.

The young cadaver, for old he was not at thirty-seven, had been a former lively scholar of St. Paul’s School London, Alumnus of Trinity College Cambridge and a member of the Middle Temple. He had trusted no one, other than the few false-hearted scoundrels he befriended. He had frequented The Dark Lad, owing to his fondness for drink and an appetite for women, where whores a plenty would stay his hunger for a coin or two. The notorious Benjamin Bridgewater was well known in the parish of Newgate and his death came as no surprise.

At seven that morning, a loud knocking came at the door of The Dark Lad. The proprietor and hospitable innkeeper, one Edward Samuel Drinkingwell, known to all as Ned, was deep in slumbers and was irrate at being woken so early after closing his late doors.

“Who the devil is it?” was Ned’s cry from the upstairs window.

“Gabriel Funereal! I believe you have a body for me?”

Cursing under his breath, Ned slammed the window shut, slipped on his topcoat and opened the doors of The Dark Lad.

“I have a body alright, and it’s down in my bloody cellar on your instructions to poor Greystone. And I want it gone, sooner rather than later, if you please. The rotting corpse will be turning my ale sour and my customers will be none too pleased,” complained Ned.

“Yes, well there lies a problem, Ned. An unwanted body in your cellar and no payment in my purse.” retorted Gabriel, “Are there any next of kin who should know of the poor bugger’s death and be willing to pay? I am sure that damned idler had never a penny to his name, he forever squandering his means on drink and whores.”

“Aye, that’s true enough. There’s one I know of, and that’s his brother Thomas, a master dyer in Thames Street. And unlike the wastrel in my cellar, Thomas is a well-respected citizen as was their father, Ben,” said Ned.