Part Six: A Sylver Tankard Parcell Gylt

The two men gazed around the room and their eyes quickly fixed upon the cupboard. It was locked securely. But where was the key? They grubbed through the pockets of an old topcoat that had been flung carelessly across the chair, but there was nothing to be found. They then warily stripped the bed of its linen, disturbing the fleas that jumped this way and that viciously biting the intruders. Still nothing.

“Are these what you’re looking for?”

They turned to the door and there stood madam, tantalizingly dangling two keys between her thumb and forefinger, “I think the rent due now gentlemen, in exchange for these. A week for each will suffice. Your brother entrusted these to me whenever he was out and about, which sometimes was for days on end. The thieving bawds here he never trusted, but he could depend on me all right and paid me handsomely as their keeper, when he had money enough.”

The debt paid, the keys were Thomas’s.

The cupboard was bare, apart from an oak chest which was secured by a sturdy lock. On opening the chest and peering in, Thomas and Ned were beguiled, for inside that unassuming box lay a treasured item of invaluable beauty and obvious worth; a sylver tankard parcell gylt. Its exquisite beauty and workmanship were far beyond anything Thomas had ever beheld. The tankard was as perfect as the day it had been wrought. Chased strapwork of sylver gilt adorned its tapering body, with its mid bands and rim of the same golden hue. On its circular foot were carved fish, each with golden eyes and scales, shimmering gracefully in their sylver sea. Its domed cover was surmounted by a splendid turned finial with the thumb piece a delicate sylver fin. Tied neatly around the handle was a label of torn parchment with the words ‘For the more deserving of my sons, for I cannot bear to choose, dear wife. Forgive me, for I must leave this burden with you. Your obedient servant, Benji’.

“Now that I never saw in The Dark Lad!” exclaimed Ned, “It would be a sight I’d never forget, especially if your bother had been supping from it. And, if I’m not mistaken, it would fetch a pretty penny. But, by God, he wouldn’t have supped for long; there are some of The Dark Lad’s shadier patrons, not to mention his creditors, who would have murdered to possess it.”

“A pretty penny indeed,” said Thomas.

“Why live as a wretched pauper, Thomas? The poor beggar hounded day and night for his debts, when such wealth was at his fingertips. There’s no rhyme or reason for it.”

“No rhyme I agree, but reason enough,” said Thomas.

“It would have needed a damned good reason for me to have lived so poor, if I had owned such a valuable item,” said Ned.

“It was not for him to sell. Benjamin was a great many things and, sorry to say, most of them proved bad. But even in his hours of greatest need, of which no doubt there were many, it seems he could never bring himself, however destitute he was, to part with the Bridgewater Tankard,” explained Thomas.

“It’s special then, this Bridgewater Tankard?” asked Ned, “I must admit I’ve never seen the likes before, and doubt will see again. It’s a rare thing of beauty.”

“It’s a rare thing alright, Ned. As rare as frost in summer. All the more reason we must away from this squalid stew and its thieving inmates and make straight for The Dark Lad,” answered Thomas.

“The Dark Lad? Not Thames Street then?” questioned Ned.

“That’s right. The Dark Lad. You see Ned, my good wife would never allow him or any of his possessions into our house. When at last I tell my dear Joanna of his death there’ll be no sadness in her heart, only rejoicing at his passing,” said Thomas.