Chapter 19: An Ever Lasting Sleep

4 months later.

Danny's POV:

It's been 4, almost 5, months since Arin fell into a comma from trying to hang himself. I've been coming to see him everyday. It got to where everyone in the hospital knew my name and they welcome me with open arms. Everyday I go to see him, I always wish that it would be the day that he would wake up and I can tell him everything, but no such luck. The doctors are slowly giving up, but I have to keep some faith, for Arin's sake.

One day, while I was sitting beside Arin's bed, Dr. Jane came into the room. She would usually come in with a small smile, but today she didn't. She was frowning and it looked like she was about to cry. I looked up at her, saying nothing. She swallowed and took a breath. "Dan," she said very quietly. "I'm so sorry, but there's no more we can do. We've tried absolutely every trick in the book, and nothing is working. I'm afraid there is nothing we can do." The remainder of my world came crashing down around me. First, I almost lose the love of my life and now there's nothing anyone can do to make sure he survives. I nodded, tears slowly slipping out of my eyes and down my cheeks. She looked down at her feet and departed from the room.

I shoved my face in my hand and cried as loudly as I could. The only sounds in the room was the sound of the heartbeat monitor and my sobs. I looked at Arin with my hazy eyes. He hadn't moved an inch in 4 months and now he may never move again.

"Arin, I'm so sorry. I love you so much more than you ever knew or will ever know. You are the most beautiful person I've ever met. You have to kindest heart, made out of the finest of gold. You bring the light to my rainy days. This is all my fault that you're here in the pain. Maybe you can't even feel anything, but I can. You must had thought that if you take yourself away, I could just move on with my life. Well, that's where you're wrong. You are my life. I would give away anything and everything to be by your side. I want you to know that I cried every night that you were gone. I'm so alone. That night of the party was the happiest I've been in along time. The feeling of your hands on my sides, your lips against mine, my skin rubbing up against yours. It all made me so happy. You make me happy."

I tried to pause to cry, but I just couldn't stop the words, that I had been holding back, from slipping out of my lips.

"You're the greatest boyfriend I've ever had. You can't be replaced. You're a permanent stain in my heart and in my head. I love you so much. This is all my fucking fault!"

The heart monitor slowed as I took in a breath. "Arin, please! You can't leave me! I need you! I love you so much!"

The beeping came to a slow stop. "ARIN!" I cried once more. It was no use. He was gone. I lost the man I loved the most to an everlasting sleep.