Smells like Teen Spirit

"Gertrude. Get up." I heard Rose's voice, it only made me roll over, facing the wall. "Don't make me call Esme or the tickle monster." She spoke louder which made me roll my eyes. What am I, four?

"Go away." Was all I answered. "but can you turn the heater on?" I asked closing my eyes more tightly, pulling the blankets closer to me.

"Did I hear my name being called?" I heard Emmett's voice at my door.

"Gertie, come on. It's- "

I had cut her off with coughing. "Seriously, she's sick on her birthday?" Emmett's voice got louder. "Happy Birthday!" he still shouted over my coughing.

"Thanks" I coughed again. "I'm fine, I just want to, I want to shower." I wanted to yawn, but another cough came out. "I'm not missing anymore school. Just give me a minute." I groaned getting out of bed with my iPod falling onto the floor.

In the shower, I took the hottest shower I could. I hated being sick, I hated that being sick was a human's weakness. And most importantly, I hated that I felt dirty and gross on the inside. Once I was done, I threw on the thermal leggings under some black jeans and threw on my new maroon hoodie. while Alice insisted I changed, I denied. I used the I'm sick card.

By the time we were at school waiting at the cars for the bell to ring, I was coughing every once in a while, which meant I was going to get worse. So I walked a foot away to finish coughing.

"Happy Birthday, Gertie." Bella walked up to me as Edward helped her walk towards us because of her broken leg, which had Rosalie walking away. So Emmet excused himself and left after her.

"Th-thanks." I tried not to cough, but it was just there. "I'm just, going to- "I then just gave up on speaking and pointed towards Rose, but Edward had got ahold of my shoulder and gestured his head behind him.

"Gertie." Came a familiar voice, which made me sigh.

"Be nice." Edward whispered and then walked away with Bella along with Alice and Jazz.

"What are you doing here, Quil?" I frowned avoiding eye contact with him. If I looked him in the eye, I would give in and that's the last thing I wanted. Because at the end of the day I would regret everything and be angry at myself.

"Are you ignoring me?" He asked desperately.

"I have to go, the bell's going to ring." I turned around to walk away, but he was quickly in front of me. "You need to go."

"Why are you ignoring me?"

"Because I have nothing to say." I basically yelled over powering the cough that was coming. I had made eye contact and quickly looked away, but I then sighed when I saw Edward watching without Bella at his side. "I have to get to class." I sighed walking around him.

"Wait. Gertie, hold on." He reached for my hand and gave me a wrapped gift. "Happy fifteenth birthday."

"I can't take this." I handed the gift back to him and walked inside the school, towards my locker where I opened it to find an ugly bear with stupid big eyes, along with a balloon and a card. I didn't bother reading the card to see who it was from, I simply popped the balloon, grabbed the stupid bear, closed my locker and walked to the nearest restroom where I dumped it the trash can.

It wasn't a feeling of satisfaction, I was still angry and being sick made things worse. So worse that I threw the big trash bin across the room. I was in tears, and at this point all I wanted to do was let myself cry, but I quickly forced myself to stop and stay strong. I went back to my locker, grabbed what I needed and then walked to class.