11: Angels

Yesterday I died. Tomorrow's bleeding.
Fall into your sunlight.
The future's open wide
beyond believing.

To know why hope dies.
And losing what was found,
A world so hollow
suspended in a compromise

The silence of the sound is soon to follow
somehow, sundown.
And finding answers
is forgetting all of the questions we called home.

Passing the graves of the unknown.

-Shattered

꧁꧂

꧁3rd Person POV (Flashback)

Sniff. Sniff. "Mommy.... Daddy... Where are you? I'm scared. I don't wanna be alone. Please come and get me!" cried a little girl. Her long hair was a pale brown and surrounded her small body like a curtain. She squatted in a fetal position under the shade of the cherry blossom tree as the noon sun radiated down on the garden. Sniff. Hiccup. Her small hands cupped her face in a fruitless effort to dry her tears. They cascaded down her face in rivers with nothing to stop it.

The laughter of children could be heard in the distance; they were playing tag near a church. It was an orphanage. And the girl was an orphan as well.

"Hey, are you okay?" asked a voice. The girl immediately stopped crying and stared at a pair of shoes. Her bangs shadowed her eyes, but her eyes widened as she peered up at the person who spoke to her.

It was a boy, her age it seemed. "What's your name?" he asked. The girl continued to stare at him before muttering, "Mi..ko." Another tear escaped and stained her cheeks once more.

"Huh? Miko? That's a cute name! My name is-" He leaned down and gently scooped the tear, her face flushing red from his close proximity.

"No! No... It's Miyako. I said it's...Miyako," she amended, her voice getting softer at the end of the sentence, almost a mumble.

"Oh? Miyako? Well you gotta speak louder, so I can hear you," he smiled, patting her head. "So whatcha doing out here alone? Aren't you lonely?"

Slowly, Miyako's blank face morphed into a frown, her eyes squinting and becoming glassy, and then a crying fit again. "Waaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!"

"Huh!? What's wrong? Did I say something wrong? Hey, please calm down!"

The boy's face became distressed, struggling to find a way to calm her down. "I'm sorry! I said something I shouldn't have. Ummm.. Uh...Hey look here! It's a praying mantis! Cool huh?" he smiled. Little did he know that he would only increase the girl's tears from seeing the insect. "E-Eeeeekkkkkkk! Get that away from meeeeeeee! Waaaaahhhh!!!! Save me mommy! Save me daddy!" she scrambled away from him and hid behind the tree, peeking at him.

The boy began panicking again. "Uh-Ummmm. Look what I made, it's mud pie! Hahaha!" he laughed, trying to infect her with laughter.....It didn't work. The dark rain cloud over her head continued to rain while his sunlight did nothing to lift them. She looked the opposite way.

He was running out of ideas quickly. After all, he didn't have any experience with girls. What do they like? How do I make her stop crying? "Will you smile for me? Please?" he asked. For some reason, he didn't like the look of tears on her face. It didn't suit her.

Tears pricked from the corners of his eyes, slightly blurring his vision. "Hey Miko," he whispered. Miyako's crying ceased. Perhaps it was the tone of his voice or maybe it was the fact that he was crying as well. She didn't know why, but he helped make things a little better. A little more 'alright.' She was captured by his 'hikari.' His light. And as his light became dimmer, hers subsided- on equal grounds.

"It's alright," he began. "I don't have a mother either..." he started.

"You don't?" she asked, wiping her tears from her face. "Where is she?"

"In heaven, with my father." Miyako looked down at the dirt, her bangs shadowing her eyes again.

"B-but that doesn't mean I can't talk to them! I tell my mother everything. And I know they hear me." This peaked her interest again as well as lifted her oncoming rain cloud.

"How?"

"Cause that's what angels do." he stated.

"You're momma's an angel?" she asked, scooting closer to him.

"Of coarse."

"And so is yours. Umm, with beautiful wings of silk and a crown full of baby rosebuds!" he continued. It seemed that his vivid imagery would appease her sadness.

"And they all live together in a castle. Do you know what it's made of? Sunflowers! Hundreds of them, so bright they shine like gold." She gasped, enraptured by this image. Other children began to listen in on his story, also captured by his tale. "And when the angels want to go someplace, they just whistle like this." he whistled a tune, similar to a bird's chirping. Miyako whistled along with him as the two filled the field with tunes, the other children joining in as well. "And a cloud floats to the castle doors and picks them up, and as the angels fly through the sky...riding the cloud like a magic carpet, under the moon and through the stars, until they're hovering right above us-

That's how they can look down and see if we're alright. And sometimes they even send messages to us. Of course, you can't hear the messages if you're crying as loudly as you were." Miyako looked down, guilty from her temper tantrum.

"But they always try again, just in case we've missed it. That's why, even if you're alone...You're not really alone. You have them watching over you, and you have us! We're a family and family always sticks together!" he smiled, getting up and lending out a hand.

Miyako looked up at him, then at his hand. She took it and stood up and she did the unexpected. She hugged him. "Thank you ....-kun."

He was surprised to say the least, but he felt warm inside. Like a million tiny butterflies were flying in his stomach. He brang up his hands and embraced the little girl, a million thoughts going through his head. One thought surfaced and resurfaced, not able to fade away. 'I will protect you...so please keep being the sweet, innocent girl you are, Miko-chan.'

"Come inside, children! Lunch is ready! " yelled a man in the distance. It was faint, but there was a hint of a russian accent in his words. His attire was that of a priest, but his tone suggested otherwise. There was something in his tone that sent shivers of Miyako's spine. 'There's something wrong with him,' she thought. 'His smile isn't reaching his eyes like mommy and daddy's did.' Her shiver went noticed by the boy who was puzzled as to her sudden fear.

'Why is she scared?'

Flashback End

꧁꧂

꧁A/N: Who's the boy that Miyako was talking to? Is it someone she knows or just someone from the past? Stay tuned for the next chapters and new characters that will be introduced! One of them being a certain eyepatch ghoul!

Thanks for reading! Please leave a vote and/or comment down below. Tell me what you think! Ja ne! (See ya!)