3: Spring

꧁A/N: Above is the song that I was listening to for inspiration on this chapter. It's called Shadow by Yuki Kajiura. Enjoy :)

  ꧁꧂  

"The answer is water, of course." Amon answered, eyes set on the mysterious girl standing in front of him.

"Bzz.... Bzz...."

"Nope. It becomes spring! I think spring is my favorite time of year," she stated, her right hand reaching up towards the falling snow. Amon was silent, contemplating whether or not he should attack. After all, this girl wasn't making any sense.

'Was she stalling for time? Talking about nothing of direct importance to think of a plan to get away unscathed?'

So many questions left with so little answers.

Above all, anyone in their right mind wouldn't be joking at a time like this...at least not when someone was pointing a weapon at them. But this girl was different. She didn't even give the weapon a second glance. In fact, she was closing her eyes- clearly without a care in the world- and clasping her hands together

Almost...

...

Blissfully.

"Wanna know why?" she opened her big coffee brown eyes. "It brings about things like rebirth, new beginnings- sprouting flowers, bright sunshines, perfect weather- just about everything nice one could think of!" she exclaimed spinning with her hands outstretched as if to welcome the cold winter. With her spinning, Amon could just barely catch a glimpse of something flash underneath her fanned out trench coat.

"You know what else would be nice?" she questioned, stopping back abruptly with her back facing Amon.

"What?" he asked cautiously.

"If this meaningless war between you humans and ghouls stops. You know, it would make it a lot easier for everybody." she stated with a closed eye smile, tilting her head to gauge Amon's reactions.

Of course, this was her objective anyways. To be the puppeteer and turn the tables. To manipulate this war. To come off as an unpredictable person, someone who could neither be messed with nor deceived. Someone who you would have to tread lightly with. After all, nobody could outsmart someone who they knew close to nothing about- that includes not knowing one's hand that they were dealt with.

To her, this was simply just a game of chess. She needed to play the right moves to reach her goal.

And this time, her goal was to end this stupid war.

"You humans?"

"Precisely."

Amon and Miyako submerged into a silence, both eerie and soul clenching for each individual. Both trying to outwit the other, one in order to subdue and the other, in order to manipulate. Different methods, but ultimately having the same goal in mind- to stop the needless killing.

Dropping her happy demeanor, Miyako slowly began to close the distance between herself and the investigator. Noticing this, Amon readied his quinque.

However in a blink of an eye, the girl disappeared in a surge of dark flames, however no heat was emitted. It was as if the darkness had come alive and swallowed her whole.

'Where did she go?' Amon thought doing a double take, then checking his surroundings for any trace of the girl.

"Right here," she whispered into his ear as if to answer his thoughts.

Amon whipped his head to stare into big red, crimson glowing eyes, peering into his soul. She smiled a cold, heartless smile and reappeared instantly in her original spot- in front of him. Only this time, he caught the the faint outlines of bats flying inside the darkness that encircled her as she gracefully landed, long toffee hair trailing behind her in waves.

She glanced back at him with an all-knowing smirk, crimson eyes fading into brown before walking out of the alley.

Only a slip of paper flew in the snowy breeze with a message written on it.

'She could have killed me right then and there. I was definitely wide open... so why didn't she kill me?' Amon stood perplexed.

She's just another one of those monsters

...

...

right?

꧁꧂

꧁A/N: So what do you think? Honestly, it was kind of hard to write the dialogue for this chapter cuz I didn't want to give too much away too early. Also, just wanted to say that Miyako is inspired by Kaname and Yuki, so I'm blending the good and the bad of both of these characters to make Miyako. I'm trying to make Miyako a 'gray' character- someone that has good intentions, but doesn't necessarily use the best means. Please comment and tell me what you think!

If anybody is reading this, (I'm not sure how much people read author's notes) then I have a question: what is a Mary Sue?

I've heard this term a lot, but I'm not quite sure what it means. I assume it means something along the lines of OP (overpowered)  or overdone, but if someone can help me out here, then I'd be grateful. Thanks! Peace out!