Chapter 2: The Acrobat Fiancé

The next morning, I make sure that there is no way in Hades that anyone could see my scar.

It is around noon when Fern, Moonlight and I land in Gotham. Moonlight and I grab our bags while Fern ditches us to go find our ride.

"Oh great, now I have to play 'Find Fern' with one good eye," I say under my breath as we go looking for her.

We finally find her kissing a guy I have never met before full on the lips. My right hand instinctively goes to my right hip, where I have a large celestial bronze knife strapped there.

The two love birds break apart and Fern finally turns to see us standing there.

"Ems, Moonlight, I'd like you to meet Richard Grayson, my fiancé," Fern says.

"You said boyfriend in New York. So which is the truth?" I ask, looking Richard up and down.

'Definitely an acrobat. He's got at least a hundred pounds on me, plus a foot in height,' I think, getting ready for a fight.

I set the bags down and place my hands on my hips, right on the handles of my large knives. Richard pushes Fern behind him.

'He's for sure a monster, but I don't know what kind. Yet,' I think. Richard looks like he has some practice against demigods. His stance is one that most campers know very well. Well, most Ares campers at least, though Fern knows it too as did I.

"I know what I said, Emma, but I didn't want your mom finding out. She'll think I'm a bad influence on you and you'd be stuck here, alone," Fern says, finally speaking up from behind Richard. She puts her hand on his shoulder. He backs off and smiles at me.

I cross my arms over my chest and glare at Fern through the dark sunglasses I wear to hide my scar. Between them and my bangs, the scar is impossible to see. I walk over to the pair, arms still folded.

"Emma Heap," I say sticking out my right hand to Richard.

"Richard Grayson, but please call me Dick," He says returning my hand shake. Afterwards, I let my hands hang down, loose, but you can tell I am pretty strong.

"That's quite a grip you have there," Dick says, rubbing his hand.

"Thanks," I say a grin forming on my face.

'If you try any funny business, I'll break your hand,' was the meaning behind that 'little' hand shake. And I think he gets the message.

Dick walks past me and picks up our bags. I hear him groan at the weight of them.

"What did you bring Women," He asks.

"I'm stuck living here for 2 years so there's a lot, OK. Personally, I don't know what Fern sees in you," I yell at him, then storm out of the building. I wait while the other three come out.

"You going to say sorry to Dick, or not," Moonlight whispers in my right ear.

"Not," I say getting into the black car that Dick has started putting our things in. Soon, Fern, Moonlight and Dick get in also.

"Where to, Master Dick," A voice inquires from the driver's seat of the car. I jump, reaching for one of my knives, one of the ones I keep in my shoes, when Fern catches my arm and shakes her head 'no'.

"Home, Alfred," Dick replies to the person driving. I raise my eyebrow at Fern and mouth 'Alfred?'.

'Your uncle's butler,' Fern mouths back.

'Lovely, what other things did my mom not tell me about,' I think as we start driving 'home', where ever that is.