Chapter 23

Charlotte -

As we move through the abandoned building, I identify my target. He's standing still, his gun in hand and prepared to fight. I move behind him, ready to take him out. Just then I feel something cold on my back. I raise my hands in the air, but don't drop my gun. "You don't want to do that," I say to whoever is behind me.

"Oh, I think I do," a gruff voice responds. "Drop the gun," he snaps.

I decide I should probably listen to him and do as told, lowering my gun. As I do so, I see that the officer that was supposed to take the target behind me down, is on the ground unconscious. There's blood coming from his head.

My supposed-to-be target is now watching us, a smirk covering his features. He's even got his gun raised at my head. This isn't good.

"Lower your weapons," the Captain says, walking in with other officers, their own guns raised.

My breath becomes labored and I open my eyes. There's some annoying beeping sound in the background, causing the pain in my head to grow more. The room I'm in is really bright and I can hardly focus on anything. There's several people around me, dressed in blue. Is that... blood on their hands?

They're passing tools around and I begin to freak out. It feels like I'm supposed to be in pain, but I can't feel it. I'm so numb. I'm trying to speak, but I can't even get my mouth open. Just then, I slip back into unconsciousness.

(Drake's POV)

Several hours later, there's still no word on Charlie. Her parents are finally here. So are mine... I didn't know exactly what to do or say so my mother just came and held me while I tried not to cry. She's going to be okay. She's going to be fine.

"Someone needs to tell me something about my daughter," Charlotte's mom seethes. She's crying and she's mad and just a whole mix of emotions.

"Ma'am, as we've told you, she's still in surgery. They're doing all that they can and as soon as she's out and stabilized, they will inform you of what they know."

Charlotte's mother huffs and continues to pace. Charlotte's father is sitting down, tears in his eyes. We're all trying to stay calm and hope for the best, but it's hard. Charlotte's sister is torn to pieces. She's not stopped crying.

My chest aches with each shaky breath I take in. I never knew I could experience such heartache before.

Charlotte -

"Captain," I breathe.

"You're surrounded. Lower your weapons," the Captain orders.

I'm now underneath the arm of the man. He's got the gun pointed to my abdomen. I'm growing nervous because of the open part of my vest where my arms go. He could easily shoot me.

I sigh and put my trust in my Captain. My target gets smart and lowers his gun, kicking it towards the officers. He puts his hands up and he's immediately arrested. "Coward," the man holding me growls.

I stand there, not sure what to do. I don't think there's a clear way to get out of this without getting shot. If I try to wrestle the gun, he'll shoot me before I get it. If I try to wrestle him, he'll shoot me. I won't win here. Not at this point.

"If you let her go now, you might get off easier than you will if you shoot her," the Captain bargains.

"I'm not so sure I like those odds. I want a clear cut deal. In writing and signed."