Chapter 11

(Charlotte's POV)

I watch Drake in the hospital bed. I watch the monitor beep with each heartbeat. I watch Drake's chest rise and fall in a steady rhythm. I watch Drake.

I look down at my hands and at some of Drake's blood still crusting them. I shudder and look back up so I can watch Drake again. I know he's not going anywhere, but I want to be here in case something starts happening. What if the machine starts beeping rapidly and no one's here to see if there's something wrong? I don't know, I just want to make sure he's okay.

My watching is suddenly interrupted by the loud clicking of heels pounding down the corridor. I look over to see Alyssa rushing over. "What the hell happened?" she screeches.

"Drake-"

"This is your fucking fault! He doesn't need to be your fucking friend; not if this is the cost," she seethes. I don't flinch. I just watch her, not wanting to do anything. She huffs and walks into Drake's room, waking him up. My phone begins to ring and I look down to see the my boss' name flash across the screen.

I start to walk away to answer it, but I can't help but listen to the faint calls of my name. I turn back to Drake, out of his line of sight, but still able to see him. He's struggling weakly against Alyssa and calling my name. I shake my head and walk out, answering the phone.

"We need you to come down to the station," my boss says immediately.

"Be there in five," I respond. Our call ends with that.

As soon as I walk outside, I'm bombarded by cameras. What the hell?

"Charlotte! Charlotte, tell us what happened!" they shout at me.

I huff and move through them, making my way towards my car. I make it within a few seconds and spin on them. "I have no comment at this time and I'm sure the department doesn't either, so please hold off," I say. I get into my car, slam my door, and speed away from the vultures.

When I make it to the station, I meet the Captain in his office. "You needed to see me?" I ask.

"Yes, Charlotte, please come in." I walk in and take a seat. "I wanted to inform you that you will be presented with a bravery award tomorrow. A ceremony is being held in honor of your help with this case," he says.

I shake my head, "That's not necessary," I say.

"Of course it is," he laughs. I force a tight smile to my lips and wait for him to continue speaking. "It will be tomorrow at zero nine-hundred. And I also wanted to tell you that because of this act, you can now complete a 30 day course at the academy and you can join the force," he says, smiling broadly.

I grin, happy to at least hear this. "Thanks," I say.

"Of course, of course. Please be in your uniform and be here at zero eight-thirty. We look forward to working with a young prodigy," he says. He stands and sticks his hand out. I think 'prodigy' is a bit strong of a word to describe me.

After thanking him one last time, I dismiss myself. I walk out of the station and my phone rings again. Alyssa's name appears on the screen. Great.

"Hello?"

"He wants to see you," Alyssa snaps.

I sigh, "Okay." With that, I hang up. I finally make my way back to the hospital, preparing myself for whatever might come.

When I get to Drake's room, Alyssa excuses herself, stomping out. I sit down beside the bed, occupying Alyssa's spot.

I stare at Drake, not sure what to do. He sighs and looks over at me. "Thank you, Charlotte," he says.