Prologue

UPDATE: The rewrite of Silence of the Alpha has been published! You can find it on my profile as LUNA REVEALED.

CONTENT WARNING: The rewrite is much darker than this. If you are under 18, it is not for you. See the book description for detailed CWs.

Cold. That was all I felt. Freezing cold. Almost like death. It was so cold, it felt hot. Burning hot. I was used to it by now, though. This cold, it was normal. It was something I felt almost every moment of my life. But this was one of those rare moments. One of the moments where I felt warmth. Not a bonfire. Not even a campfire. Just a small, lit match. Just a little light and warmth in a dark, cold place. I almost felt bad for this light. I knew that, soon, it would be smothered by the cold. But for now, I would stand by this flame and let it warm me.

I knew there wasn't much time left for this flame. I watched it flare up, using the rest of the oxygen, before slowly dying out, leaving the faint smell of smoke in its place.

This was my life; waiting for that small match. There were so few of them, I sometimes felt the death and cold creeping into me before it showed up. I never expected anything bigger than this flame. And I never received it. I could hardly remember the last time I saw a large flame. Like the sun. The sun didn't exist anymore. Not for me, at least.

That is, until my world started revolving again. I watched one of my small flames expand and extend, becoming something I thought I'd never see again.

My sun.