Chapter 8

I looked at the time on my phone: 3:59 pm. I waited for the time to switch to exactly 4:00 before ringing the doorbell to Jade's house. It had been about two months since we'd really gotten to talk and I was bracing myself for the many awkward silences we were sure to encounter during our sleepover.

Pounding footsteps coming down the stairs, a screamed "I'll get it Mom!" and then the door swished open to reveal Jade, her hair pulled back in a messy, frizzy ponytail and her cheeks a flushed red.

"Hi!" She beamed at me, grabbing my arm and pulling me inside. "Sorry, I completely forgot to check what time it was," she said, gesturing apologetically to her gold soccer uniform with the black number 17 on the back. "Just let me get changed out of these dirty clothes and I'll be right back." She was right, her shorts and sneakers were caked in mud and a streak of dirt ran up her leg. She raced upstairs quickly.

I looked around, then decided to take a seat on the couch rather than awkwardly stand by the steps waiting for her. I looked around at the house I had been in a million times and sighed in relief. Everything was unchanged, the floor was still covered in shiny white tiles, the chandelier still hung from the ceiling over the dining room and the flat screen T.V. was still mounted over one of the bright white walls. I'd had an irrational fear that somehow Jade's house would have undergone a complete makeover and everything would be different. Even though the pristine, nothing out of it's place house with a glass table or expensive glass vase at every turn still unnerved me, making me feel like I should have on a cocktail dress and heels and not touch anything, at least the familiarity was comforting.

Clomping footsteps, and Jade was back, more out of breath and flushed than before. "I couldn't find any clean shirts!" She exclaimed, trying to smooth out the rumpled 'Madame Mika's Dance Academy' t-shirt she was wearing. She plopped down next to me on the couch.

"So how've you been? Anything exciting happen yet this summer? Meet any cute boys?" She bounced up and down on the couch excitedly.

"Are you high or something?" I asked suspiciously taking in her flushed cheeks and brightly lit up eyes as she continued to bounce on the couch.

She chortled like a maniac. "No. I just went to Starbucks before soccer and had like, three cups of espresso." She burst out laughing at my expression and then composed herself.

"Don't ignore my questions though!"

"I'm fine, yes, and yes.." I kept my answers short, not yet wanting to elaborate. Jade stopped bouncing very quickly.

"OMG who's the cute boy?!?! Did you and Danny Marger finally hook up?" She squealed in delight.

"No," I said quickly, steering her thoughts away from my old science class partner. "His name is Jason..."

"I bet Charlotte's in heaven! You're finally finding 'true love' ". She snorted. "Did you tell her yet?" Jade thought Charlotte was every bit as dramatic as I did from what I'd told her. I hesitated.

"Well, Charlotte's in Europe for the summer," I said, choosing my words carefully.

She just stared, waiting for me to continue.

"Jason is.. Charlotte's...."

"Brother?" Jade supplied helpfully. I wish, I added silently.

"Boyfriend." I finished off lamely. Her jaw dropped.

"You're kidding, right?" Cue awkward silence. "KATELYN! Are you KIDDING ME????? Everyone hates the backstabbing boyfriend stealer! Besides, it is so cliche, do you like expect you'll both fall madly in love and ride off into the sunset while she's away?