chapter 6

--->> pic of Darren on the right

I hate him. Those three words kept swirling around in my head after I walked out of the Snazzy Smoothie. When I got home, Mom walked out of the kitchen holding a wooden spoon.

"I'm making pasta for dinner, want to taste the sauce?" she asked, but I ignored her, stomping up the stairs and slamming my door.

I grabbed my computer, hoping some mind numbing web surfing would help me forget the insanely cute- I shook my head. Insanely ANNOYING boy that was at the Snazzy Smoothie flirting with three girls that weren't me. And aren't Charlotte, his girrlllfrienddd, the annoying voice in my head said.

My phone beeped and I made a quick, reflexive grab for it. Then I paused. I contemplated whether I should check the message as I rubbed my thumb across the rhinestone front. It could be Jason, I thought, starting to put the phone down again. Then again, it could be anybody. My phone did have 35 contacts, I reasoned, picking it back up and clicking the new message before I could stop myself.

One new message: FROM CHARLOTTE

Hey K. On the plane to Europe, bored. Call me later?

P.S. if you see Jason, tell him to text me. xox

I deleted the message and shut off my phone. I took out my iPod, closed my eyes, and listened to music, not worrying about Charlotte, Jason, or anything else...

I was sitting next to Jason on a plane. "I really like you, Katelyn," he said, and I couldn't help but believe him. He leaned in to kiss me, and then the flight attendent came with a cart of drinks, asking us if we wanted anything. Except it wasn't a flight attendant. It was Honor and Jason immediately lost interest in me, turning and flirting with her as if I was invisible.

Now Honor was gone, and Jason was sitting next to me again, staring out the window. He turned toward me, and now it was Charlotte, glaring at me.

"You're supposed to be my friend, Katelyn!" she roared, her voice sounding magnified on the plane. I felt guilty as I looked at her glaring face. "How could I ever forgive you?" she demanded. I just shook my head miserably. 'Unless..." her voice sounded suddenly dreamy. "Unless you get Jason to call me..."

The scene floated out of focus and my eyes flew open, taking in my surroundings. I was in my room, not on a plane, and Charlotte and Jason were nowhere in sight. Just a nightmare, I thought shaking my head and sighing.

I took off my earphones, which were now silent after playing my whole playlist, and laid back down on my bed. Chiz, I thought, staring up at my purple ceiling. I am in SO much trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I woke up at 7:00 a.m. after many hours of restless sleep. I reached for my cell phone and realized I'd left it off all night. Five new messages.

I scrolled through them slowly.

1 NEW MESSAGE FROM: Mom

~Sweetie, didn't want to wake you up but i wanted to let you know that i'll be at work late tonight. Just order a pizza. --Mom (6:45 a.m.)

I scrolled to the next message.

2 NEW MESSAGES FROM: Jade

~Hey girl, I know its late but just wanted to know if u wanted to have a sleepover with me & Teresa today, somewhere around 5 pm? (12:02 a.m.)

~Hey again, actually how about we hang out on Wednesday? Dr appointment today, just remembered :(. xox! (12:23 a.m)

The last two messages were from Charlotte again.