I

*Edited*

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

The darkness of the night enveloped her, coating every inch of the forest where she lay crouched down against the earth. Chilled winds sliced through the trees, howling an unwelcoming tune to the night, and shredding themselves through the thin material that covered her back. But, she barely took notice.

Fear coursed through her veins, her heart alive and pumping against her rib cage to the rhythm of a tribal drum.

They were there.

She could hear their faint noises in the distance, thrashing and slicing through the thick evergreens, footsteps ringing against the earth.

They were coming for her.

Howls and cackles echoed to her far right. With a strangled gasp, she attempted to tuck herself further out of sight, squeezing her eyes shut in the hopes of making herself vanish. The group moved closer, the pounding of the earth becoming louder as they closed in on her location. Breaths became shallow restrained gasps as she attempted to calm the air that was desperately trying to escape her lungs. Then, through the cry of the wind, a voice rung true.

"Lillian!" A voice yelled. It dripped with unconcealed emotions of panic. She recognized it.

"Lillian!" The voice cried again. "Please! For the love of... answer me! Lily they're coming for you. They'll be on you in a matter of minutes. Run to me. Please." His voice broke into a new octave, desperation pouring through each word. A crash was heard to her right and she knew she had to move.

Shakily, she uncurled herself from the ball, swiftly clambering to her feet in a leap. Straightening her spine, and glancing one more to her right, she pushed through the overgrowth, deciding on pure instinct to follow his voice. Every muscled moved like a machine, working at an inhuman pace as she maneuvered through the tangled obstacles of the forest.

His presence must have been magnetic, because in a matter of seconds, she had found him.

He stood there glistening in the center of a meadow, draped in moonlight as it cascaded down his frame in an unearthly white cloak. The wind spiraled around the trees, black curls sweeping over his face as his emerald eyes scrutinized the landscape.

Determination drowned in unease flashed across his features as he continued to scan the edges of the forest. Posture ridged and fierce.

He was looking for her, Lily realized. A howl rung out behind her.

Deciding on an unknown whim to trust him, she bounded forward, her clothing torn and slicked with mud from the moist earth.

The moment her body stumbled into the open, his eyes landed on her, thickening with an emotion that was concealed before she even had a chance to understand it.