Prologue

Hi Everyone! Thank you for taking the time to check out Arising Fate. This is my first book, so I hope you all enjoy! 

This chapter has been edited. 

All the songs I put at the top are songs that were in my mind / helped to shape the chapters before you. As you'll be able to tell, I'm into some darker genres when I write.

Copyright © 2015

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form by any means. This includes, but is not limited to, photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical review and certain other non-commercial uses permitted by copyright law.

Rating: PG 13 - language, violence

Cheers, 

Laura Nicole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The October breeze surged across the edges of the Liffey river, kissing the banks with its icy lips.

Two creatures stood at the banks of the river, tall and strong in their demeanor. One's features were sharp, defined and moulded from shadow. Looking up, his eyes darkened against the evening skies, watching the storm clouds descend over the inky atmosphere above. Lifting a hand from the pocket of his jacket, he yanked up his right sleeve, revealing his forearm. Small, almost invisible ivory vines seemed to glow across his skin, weaving themselves like threads of light around his arm, until they vanished beneath the material.

Wound tightly around his wrist was a small mirror, whose ancient face reflected the beautiful creature staring down at it. Quietly, he murmured to it under his breath, lifting a slender finger to touch the glass. But instead of the solid exterior one would expect, beneath his touch the surface rippled like water, swirling to form the numbers '18:30.'

Huffing in annoyance, he yanked the sleeve back down, muttering a curse under his breath.

The second being stood beside him, gazing at his friend in mirth. A small delicate smile stretched across his face. Waiting patiently had never been one of his companion's known gifts. Especially waiting for someone he didn't particularly like to begin with.

"Lighten up, Ash. It's only been five minutes," he noted, silver eyes sparkling under the glare that passed his way.

"Ten actually."

The second creature snorted, "I thought you had another week before your time of the month."

"One day Ren, I'm going to kill you," Ash growled, eyes locked onto the blond being with the impish grin. It was an empty threat that Ash seemed to fall back on when he was frustrated, and Ren knew it.

Ren exhaled a long and deliberate breath. "You and everyone else." He paused, glancing at Ash. "You know, you're kind of sexy when you growl," Ren drawled, winking.

"Shut up."

Turning away, Ash let his gaze fall among the hoards of children ahead, twirling in a mixture of colourful, yet gruesome costumes that stood out beneath the street lights. Ghosts, goblins, witches, fairies, zombies, vampires; he never understood the purpose of the mortal holiday.

Hearing a cry, he redirected his attention, just in time to view two pixies trip a little boy, snickering under their breath as the candy fell from his basket and decorated the sidewalk. The child burst into a fit of tears, causing the devilish things to laugh louder, hooting and hollering as the boy's mother ran up to help him.