55: Last Hours

__________________________

The time?

I wasn't sure.

Jayden?

I didn't know where he was or if he was alive.

How close was I to my decision?

Very, very close.

A burst of fire escaped my hands and the chains stuck to my skin painfully. I screamed out in pain and once again tried escaping the chains. 

They'd tied me up in the cave. They were using all of the chain hooks. I remembered the first day I was down here. I was looking at the chain links thinking they won't use them. And here I was chained down to the very last.

I hated this. It was worse than the first change but this time I was awake. I was used to fire running through my veins but this was unbearable. This was going to last all day. 

Another wave coursed through me and I grunted. Why did it have to hurt? Why couldn't it be painless? My body was in agony; my back felt like a weight had been dropped on it and I couldn't shrug it off.

"Dammit." I gritted my teeth.

I brought a flame to my hand and stared at it. The flame danced all over my hand and grew smaller as I shut my hand. If I were human, my skin would have melted right off. 

But I'm not. 

I'm not human anymore.

I'm far from it.

I'll never be close to human again.

I stood up and tried thrashing out of the chains.

The fire burned through my veins and the red haze filled my vision. I didn't want this. In my past lives I remembered the worry. I remembered appearing confident and cocky but in truth I was scared.

I grabbed one of the chains and tried pulling but the heat of my skin against the platinum burnt me. I flinched away from it and screamed in frustration.

"Uh!" I dropped to the floor.
I brought my knees up to my chin and wrapped my arms around my legs. The tears sliding down my cheeks were searing hot. How much longer of this?

**

I was so confused...

What's... Going on?

I'd felt like my mind hit a brick wall and suddenly went blank. 

The pain was still recognizable. My back was uncomfortable. I feel like I've been down here for years. 

I looked up at the holes in the ceiling. The sky had orange clouds... It was sunset.

Soon.

It would be happening soon.

Footsteps sounded through the cave tunnel. 

Their aura was small and different compared to angels. It was a human's aura. 

The man peered around the corner.

His green eyes watched me carefully as he stepped in.

I stared at him. Why was he down here? What with me having random outbursts of heat and fire, it wasn't safe for him. 

"What are you doing down here?" I croaked. It came out harsher than I wanted it to.

He cautiously came forward. "I... Wanted to check on you. Elijah told me not to--"

"You should have listened to him." I said. "It's not safe here, Jayden. You should go."

He stared at me with pity. My jaw clenched as his thoughts were about what would happen to me and him. "I will make you leave." I snarled.

"Listen to yourself," He bent down a fair distance away from me but didn't attempt to touch or come any closer. "Stay strong. Not just for me but for the people you love. The people that love you."

I glared at him. "It's too late for that. I've past the point of caring. What happens tonight happens. My mind is irrational at this stage and I'm not one to question this stuff anymore. Now Jay; I want you out of here. I don't want you near that demon anymore."

"But..."

"Please leave. Find Bonnie."

He frowned. "Who's Bonnie?" He asked.

"She's your guardian. The wolf. Find her. She'll lead you. I can blind your aura from Eli and Grigori for you to escape."

"But Alexis..."

I shook my head and grunted as a wave of pain passed through me. "Do it." I snapped.

He nodded and stood up. A tear rolled down his cheek as he sent me one last look before leaving the cave.