“Wow these are some digs you’re staying at here.” Baz said, his hazel eyes wide as he peered around the foyer.

“Uh yeah it’s my Mum’s best friends place.” Zach told him as Alyssa, Meghan and Jeremy walked through the door.

He mentally winced; he had never once told them he stayed with Emily’s family for the week when his parents went away. He hadn’t wanted them to accuse Emily of taking away their freedom to party on their own for a week. They knew he stayed with someone of course but he had used the excuse of school to not invite them over.

“So where are you staying in this mansion?” Jeremy asked when he could finally stop staring and gaping.

“C’mon, I’ll show you.” Zach gestured for the stairs.

He led them up as they continued gasping and pointing stuff out to him. He wanted to roll his eyes at their dramatics but he just kept moving. He opened the door to his room and they all piled in behind him.

“Geez this is like three times the size of my room at home.” Alyssa gushed as she walked around examining everything.

“Yeah mine too.” Zach said with a shrug.

They all went around the room their voices high with astonishment. They discovered the Xbox and before long they were all sitting around having a game. Hoots and hollers filled the room and Zach prayed they weren’t disturbing Emily. The last thing he wanted to do was freak her out with too much noise.

He looked around at his friends and realised Baz was missing. He frowned as he stood up and glanced around the room. What the hell? Where had he gone? A quick glance out the window and Zach felt his chest go tight as anger swelled through him.

Baz was down by the pool where Emily was swimming her normal laps. She wouldn’t have noticed him yet, Zach was sure because she was still swimming calmly. He was off as quick as he could. His friends called out to him before following him outside. Zach was so furious that he felt like he was going to explode.

By the time he was down at the pool Emily had noticed Baz and was refusing to get out of the pool. She huddled against the side looking completely freaked out. Zach cursed angrily under his breath; he knew he shouldn’t have invited his friends here.

“Come on Em, swim over here.” Zach called out as he picked up her huge towel and tried to shield her from his friend’s sight.

Emily looked over at him her gorgeous eyes wide with apprehension. He heard his friends muttering from behind him but couldn’t give a damn. He needed her to feel safe around him and now he felt like the last few years efforts had been blown.

“Are you okay Em?” He asked gently as she made her way to him. He held out the towel as she got out of the water and he quickly wrapped her shaking form within it. “What were you thinking?” Zach turned his glare on Baz who just smirked.

“I saw a hot girl in a pool, what did you think I would do?” Baz answered with a shrug as though it was no big deal and Zach saw red.