Maybe he should just suck it up and try to get his friends to come over here. Then maybe they could see Emily the same way he did. He didn’t hold out any high hopes but maybe it would work.

He dared to glance back down to the pool to find she had pulled her dark clothes back on. She was still sitting on the edge of the pool but with her feet dangling in the water. As usual she had a large notebook in her hands and was writing away madly.

Occasionally she would stop and stare into space while tapping her cheek with her pen. He loved that thoughtful expression she had on her face then. Sometimes she would almost smile and he waited with bated breath for those moments but it was never a real one, just the idea of it.

He found himself walking downstairs before he had even considered what he was doing. He shook his head at his own obsession with her; he was such a fool for her. He went straight to the pool area and for a moment stood there admiring her. He sat down next to her, dangled his own feet in the cool water and looked at her.

“Hey Emily.” He said softly.

She startled, her book going flying which she quickly tried to snatch up. Zach grabbed the book as her hand went to her racing heart. She breathed heavily for a moment before turning those mossy green eyes to him. He handed her the book back silently and she clutched it to her chest.

He still found it hard to believe that in all the time he’d known her she had only said four words to him. Sometimes he felt like her expressions told him exactly the words she wanted to say. He had become surprisingly good at interpreting them.

“Sorry Em I thought you would have heard me coming.” He said with a grin knowing she would never have heard him when she was in her own little writing world. She scowled at him so he raised his hands in defence “Hey it’s not like I snuck up on you.” He told her and for a fleeting second he could’ve sworn that she almost smiled “You know I’m here for the week right?” He asked as he pulled the pen from her fingers.

He needed something in his hands so that he could control them. Strands of her still wet hair dangled in her face and he itched to push them back. He knew it would scare her if he tried but he wanted to so badly.

“Um I wanted to ask you if you mind….I just wanted to invite some of my friends over but you know it’s your house and all….” He trailed off feeling a bit stupid while she looked pained. She nodded her head slightly and he let out a sigh. “So if you want, we can have a pizza party.” He said hopefully and she cocked her head to the side “You know you’re always welcome right?” At that she sent him a glare, got up and walked back into the house.

He cursed softly to himself but decided to invite his friends over tomorrow anyway. He was determined that they would see her differently. He was going to make them be nice to her no matter what.

The doorbell rang and Zach waved off Charles the butler, as he went to answer it himself. He had to admit that he was nervous. This could turn into an utter disaster and make Emily feel worse about herself. No, he had to believe in his friends. They had all known each other for so long and that should mean something.