Twenty Five

Michael couldn't sleep and neither could Luke. Lying on their backs with their hands over their own chests while breathing in slowly, they had spent the last three hours in complete silence with their eyes glued to the ceiling. The room was still dark, not even hints of colour coming up in the sky indicating it was still far from dawn. The only sound that filled the room was that of their breaths and the rustling of leaves coming from outside. Luke wanted to ask what had happened exactly, but he didn't want to push Michael into talking about it. Michael wanted to tell Luke what had happened, but he didn't know how to. He knew it would make Luke upset and that was the last thing he wanted.

"Does it hurt?" Luke forced himself to break the silence, rolling his head to the side so he could see Michael's profile. It was barely a silhouette, but Luke admired it nonetheless.

"What? My face, heart or pride?" Even though Michael was merely a shadow at that point, Luke could still see the hint of a smile on the older man's lips and Luke couldn't help but bite his lower lip to suppress a smile.

"Anything." Luke shrugged, turning on his side completely now. Michael stayed in the same position, eyes still fixed to the ceiling. He knew that if he looked at Luke, he wouldn't be able to go through with telling him what happened and he would crack. Again. "Is there anything I can do for you? Is there anything you need?"

Michael remained silent for a few seconds, the sound of the leaves outside seeming to become louder due to the lack of voices in the room. He closed his eyes.

"Well, my face could use an ice pack," He opened his eyes again, feeling Luke's intense stare. He knew Luke would get up and get him an ice pack once Michael finished his sentence. "My pride just needs time."

"And your heart?" Luke murmured, causing Michael to turn his head to the side so he could look into Luke's eyes. It was dark, but he could still slightly make out the bright irises of the blond man.

"Would it be extremely cheesy if I said my heart just needs you?"

"Yes, it would." Luke laughed, feeling his heart getting lighter as the mood seemed to change. He liked having Michael looking at him again and he liked seeing the man smile. He only hoped that smile would not be short lived. "But I'd like to hear that, anyways."

"I'll say it once you bring me an ice pack." Michael smirked, enjoying the way Luke rolled his eyes at him jokingly before sitting up. He crawled out of bed, Michael watching him closely as he strut out of the room, now dressed only in a long sweater. Michael knew he wore nothing underneath it and the thought made his mind wander off. He wanted to feel the blond again, he wanted to kiss Luke again, he wanted to go back to that time that the only thing in his universe was Luke. 

The blond's feet padded into the kitchen, opening the freezer and squinting at the light that came from inside. Taking the gel ice pack Calum had put in there in case he ever needed one, Luke found himself wondering if he'd ever get the chance to wake up next to Michael on a normal day. If they'd get up for work and have breakfast together, if they'd drive in one car everyday and then come home together and hang out. He wanted that; Luke was tired of the sneaking around, seeing each other when Michael's wife was busy or getting off in the middle of the night over the phone. He wanted to feel Michael, to touch him, to wake up in the middle of the night and know that Michael was lying next to him. 

He didn't want a relationship he saw in movies; he didn't want roses and expensive dates or quirky surprises or for Michael to tell him everyday that he was the centre of Michael's universe and that no one would ever take his place. That meant nothing to Luke. He wanted to sit with Michael in front of the TV on a Thursday night in only his underwear, eating pizza and seeing who could burp the loudest. He wanted to wake up and see Michael sleeping with drool on his chin and snoring so loudly Luke could barely sleep at night. He wanted to get home expecting to be pranked at any second and prank Michael when he least expected it. He wanted Michael to show Luke how much he meant to him in the little things: telling him to put on his seatbelt, reminding him to take a jacket because he might be cold, telling him he looked like shit when waking up with a cold and making sure to take care of him until Luke felt better. He wanted a best friend, he wanted Michael to be his best friend.