Chapter 14: Bloody, Bloody, Telmarines

Start from the beginning

The last soldier was closing in.

***

At the battlefield, the two Kings proceeded with their combat. With beads of sweat lining their hairlines and an inconsistent heaving of breaths, it was obvious that both Kings were already down on their energy. With a cry Peter sent the hilt of his sword down on his opponent's back, but Miraz spun around at a speed so fast that Peter could not register. Before he knew it Miraz sent a blow in his face, sending his helmet sliding off his head and tumbling onto the stone ground.
Give yourself an advantage. Wound your opponent. Peter remembered from a book of combat tips he read - rather throughly for a five hundred paged book - the last time he'd been in Narnia. Not that he enjoyed inflicting bloodshed and agony on someone else, but he knew very well that someone had to die in exchange for peace. Recovering, the High King ducked down and swung his blade low so that it sliced the area just behind the knee, causing Miraz to wince, dropping his guard for a brief moment. Miraz snuck a small glance at Glozelle, angered by the fact that he still held the loaded crossbow in his arms, not making any intention to give him an advantage in the field.

Faking his weakness, Miraz slowed down his movements, sending sloppy attacks that was easily blocked by his opponent. Breaking the momentum, he leapt towards Peter unexpectedly, gritting his teeth as the throbbing of his wound began to intesify.
Peter fell in an attempt to dodge the deadly blade, but having trained for such 'worse case senarios', he got up as soon as he fell. Yet this time he stumbled on Miraz's extended leg, hitting his back against the hard concrete ground.
Grinning, Miraz positioned his foot on the edge of his shield, using full use of his own weight to push it downwards. A sickening crack of a solid sounded. The shield was certainly still in good shape, and by the sharp pain that shot through him Peter knew that something in him had gone wrong.

Then came the merciless swings of Miraz's sword, but Peter managed to roll his way out of the blade's path, most missing him terribly nearly. He kept up with rolling and blocking with his shield, until he came to an abrupt stop and kicked Miraz in the ankles, causing him to fall.
They both got on their feet as fast as they could, their breathing hard.

"Does his highness need a respite?" asked Miraz, though it was exceptionally obvious that he was the one who needed it.

"Five minutes?" Peter suggested.

"Three" answered Miraz, who half stomped, half limped to his army like a child. He then threw his helmet down and glared at Glozelle as if his eyes would start out of his head.

"I am sure you will not let it get that close again" he spat.

On the opposing side, Peter took a glance behind Caspian's shoulder at the How, at the Narnians, their gazes filled with hope.
Hope. That was what they needed to do. Hope and pray that Aslan will be by their side.
He then turned to Susan.

"Better get up there, just in case. I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word" said Peter.

Susan nodded and stepped towards Peter, tip-toeing so that she could engulf him in a tight and encouraging embrace. He hissed at the pain.

"Sorry" she apologised.

"It's alright" replied Peter, nodding as Susan turned and made her way towards the How.

"Keep smiling" Edmund told him, glancing at the Narnians. With his sword up raised up high, Peter turned to the Narnians, forcing a huge smile which showed off his pearly whites despite the pain in his left shoulder. The Narnians cheered louder than before for their King, some jumping up and down and others clapping wildly.

At the sudden cheering, Miraz turned to Lord Sopespian, "How does he look to you?" asked Miraz.

"Young" Sopespian replied lamely.