Chapter 7 - Aslan's How

The Narnians, after being united with their Kings and Queens, began their journey through the forest towards Aslan's How, where Caspian had gathered his army and weapons.
As they trudged on through the woods, Trufflehunter was engaged in a small conversation with Trumpkin and Nikabrik.
"So what are they like?" he asked.
"Complainers. Stubborn as mules in the morning" Trumpkin replied, sounding exasperated.
"So you like 'em?" Nikabrik chipped in.
"Well enough"

"What's with those two?" Nikabrik asked again, pointing at Amethy and Edmund, who were walking side by side, chatting happily.
"I believe one fancies the other..." began Trumpkin, pouting slightly.
"I think they look like a pair of lovebirds, like they are meant for each other" whispered Trufflehunter.
"I heard that!" Amethy shouted from a distance, making the three of them jump.
"Heard what?" asked Edmund.
"Uh... nothing!" Amethy replied before walking away to join the trio, and the trio braced themselves for another lecture from Amethy.

Soon, they had reached a large clearing. In front of them stood a huge mound-like structure, seemly constructed by stacking up huge stone pieces. Moss and ivy ran over the walls, and trees grew on its many ledges, giving it a tinge of colour and life. It was a breathtaking sight. For a certain reason the structure seemed to be filled with hope and magic, and for this certain reason they knew that it held importance.
As they entered the place, centaurs stood on either side of the entrance, raising their swords as a sign of respect to the Kings and Queens. Caspian and Amethy stopped to let the Pevensies pass, then Caspian entered, followed by Amethy and the other Narnians.

As they entered the How, they saw many Narnians, including minotaurs, fauns and centaurs sharpening and making weapons for the army. They all stopped their work at once and bowed to the Pevensies, before turning back to continue with whatever they were trying to complete.
"It may not be what you are used to, but it is defensible" Caspian assured them.
"Peter, you may want to see this" said Susan, emerging from the other side of the tunnel.
They all moved towards one of the walls carved with many depictions. Amethy spotted a faun with a red scarf, two girls on a lion and four children seated on huge thrones. She knew who they were.
"It's us" breathed Susan.

"What is this place?" Lucy asked curiously.
"You don't know?" questioned Caspian.
With that, Caspian picked up a torch and led them down a dark tunnel.
They reached the end of the tunnel and Caspian turned into a dark room. He lighted a fire at the corner of the room and it spread, revealing intricate carvings of Narnians and the magnificent Aslan, with thick pillars of ancient designs supporting the stone roof, as well as the cracked stone table in the middle.
Lucy stared at the carving of Aslan for a while before turning back, thinking about all that he had done to help them fight against the White Witch, especially his sacrifice on that very stone table in front of her.
"He must know what he's doing" said Lucy.
There was silence for a moment.

"I think it's up to us now" Peter replied solemnly.
They all looked at the carving for quite awhile.
Aslan, please help us. Amethy prayed.

***

Amethy sat on a ledge of the How with a goblet of water at her side, healing the wound inflicted by Caspian. She had torn off both sleeves of her dress, making it more convenient for her to work her magic. Picking up some water and rubbing it over her wound, it magically healed to just a faint scar on her arm.
"May I take a look at that?" asked a voice. Amethy turned towards the voice, realising that it was Caspian, who was looking at her bracelet wrapped around her wrist now visible without her sleeves.

Caspian wasn't all too sure if Amethy was the one he was looking for when he witnessed her bend water and heal her own wound, but now that he had seen her bracelet, he was quite sure she was the one.
"Of course" replied Amethy, unlatching her bracelet. Caspian sat down beside her, inspecting it.
"You know, it's funny how you are more interested in my bracelet than how I could heal my wound"
"I'm curious about that too, but this is my first priority" he replied casually, his eyes still fixed on the bracelet. "Oh and sorry for hurting your arm. I thought you were..." said Caspian again. Then he paused, his eyes widening.