Chapter 10 - New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"Well the usual really, spent most of the time just pottering around in the garden with Arnold." She smiled. I was grateful she met Arnold. He was human, and could never match up to my grandfather. His friendship however made her happy and that in turn was alright with me.

"What about you? Have you found her yet?" She asked with a spark in her eye. I shook my head and forced a small laugh. She was the only person I didn't get frustrated at when she asked me.

"Not today gran." I answered trying to make light of the situation, but finding a mate wasn't top on my agenda. I just wanted to focus on football. And the fact that everyone keeps asking me about my mate like it was the be-all and end-all of everything just pissed me off.

"I know you're not bothered about her at the moment, but one day you're going to realise that messing around with all these girls, will be a mistake."

"You're starting to sound like my parents." I frowned. I didn't get on with my parents, they didn't like the fact that I was sleeping around - said I was stupid and immature. "Next you're going to tell me I should be more like Wesley." I frowned, feeling the usual feeling of bitterness and jealously I felt towards my stupid twin brother.

"Oh Klaus, I will never say that. You know I love Wesley and you both the same."

"I know." I smiled. She was the only person I could believe when she said that. My mom and my dad both loved my brother more. He was the one who had the good grades, focused on school and not on parties and girls. He's everything that I'm not. The only thing I have that he doesn't, is that I'm the alpha heir. Nevertheless there was no doubt in my mind that my parents would give that to Wesley if they could. Fucking Wesley I hated his guts.

"Look son, you need to rid yourself of your hatred towards your family. It may not seem like it to you, but I know that they all love you very much – maybe as much as I love you." That was a small joke to her, but I'd never tell her myself, but I always thought she loved me more than anyone else did. I myself had never loved anyone like I loved my grandmother – she meant everything to me. "They may seem to pay more attention to Wesley because he's not the heir. They're just over compensating for that, they don't realise how much it's hurting you, and that's wrong." She finished.

"Whatever I don't need them to treat me like him. I'm fine by myself." I shrugged trying to pass it off like I wasn't hurting inside. Like I wasn't acting out for the attention I'm not getting from anyone else but my grandmother.

"Klaus you can't live your life like this forever." She said taking my hand in her fragile one. "You can't keep acting out like you do. I'm not going to be around for much longer. You need to tell your mom about your feelings" My vision blurred as I stared down at the wrinkles on her hand. I couldn't look at her.

"You are! Don't say that!" I glared down at her hands.

"No one's supposed to live forever son." She gave my hand a squeeze, as a stupid tear leaked from my eye - one I was quick to wipe away.

"I couldn't imagine what it would be like if... if..." I choked up, damned tears. Men aren't supposed to cry.

"When I die." She finished for me, and in doing so wiped away another of my tears.

"You're the only person who understands me." I whispered, not sure if I wanted her to hear me.

"Honey, that's not true you're mom and Pa will understand if you gave them a chance."

"No you don't understand! They don't love me like you do. You can't leave me."

"Oh Klaus, don't say that you know that's not true."