39. The New Beginning

Start from the beginning

Kim gazed at me with her expressionless face and I just hope that she wouldn't decline my offer. "You're wasting my time and it's really none of my business if you have not eaten anything since yesterday or a few weeks ago." She sighed to her annoyance. I didn't expect that she would say in such a way to me. She is not Kim I used to know. Kim would always concern about me. She would be worried sick if she knew I didn't have a proper meal. This is just not Kim.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat your favourite fried rice?" My tears were threatening to spill. It was just too hurtful to see her treating me like this. She didn't even consider my feeling.

I put the container on her desk. Its aroma wafted over the room when I opened up the lid. I borrowed the container from Aunty Inn; it could retain the heat. I wanted to make sure that it's still warm when I gave it to her.

"Don't you hear that I had my breakfast already?!" Kim slammed the desk with her hand. The lid that I held in my hand fell to the floor because I was just too shock with her sudden reaction.

"Kim..." As much as I have tried not to cry, my tears had betrayed me.

"Get your seat now." Kim directed. I didn't see why Kim needed to be too harsh with me but as much as I feared that any of my careless doing would trigger her anger again I hurriedly took the seat across her. I dropped my gaze to anywhere but my hands. I was shaking – my whole body was trembling. It was not because my fear towards Kim was too overwhelmed but it happened when I tried to stifle my tears.

"Go ahead and eat." She said. The tone in her voice has softened. I gazed at her at any instant and Kim's piercing eyes met mine. I tore my gaze away from her quickly. She scared me and I hate those look in her eyes. It implied how much she annoyed towards me.

"You loved to give me trouble." She murmured. At last, I noticed that she took the container to her. I didn't know what she was going to do with it. I hope she wouldn't throw it away.

"Come on. Open your mouth." Kim said. I braved myself to meet her eyes again. Kim wanted to feed me.

"Hurry up, Pie. Don't waste my time." She complained. I let Kim fed me and I wished time could stop forever like this even though what I have eaten felt like sands. I took the opportunity to look at her face. Kim refused to make an eye contact with me. Only then it dawned upon me that I have missed her too much and the only thing I wished I could do right now is kissing her until we were both breathless.

The complete silence seemed comfortable to both of us. Sometimes Kim brought the spoon to her mouth – feeding herself with the fried rice. Told me she didn't interested with the dish I brought for her but in my observation, she ate a lot than me.

"I know you'll like it." I spoke up, breaking the silence between us. Kim's eyes met mine once and then she tore it away the seconds later.

"I should get over it by now." She muttered.

"Why?" I asked bewildered. "I can cook for you every day." I told her.

Kim stopped from eating and leaned to her chair, sighing loudly as if she was trying to release the entire burden in her. She seemed conflicted herself. After awhile, she leaned forward to a closer distance to me. I knew she was about to tell me something but then she dropped her head to the table in guilt.

"What's wrong, Kim?" I lifted her head up and leaned our forehead together. Her citrus scent calmed me – it always does. "You can always talk to me. I'm all ears." I told her.

Kim pulled away from me and took something from her drawer. I figured out that it's a cheque book. Kim wrote some amount on it and put her signature at the bottom part of it. I saw it clearly; the name of the receiver is me.