Chapter 29

Six months later...

Tony's POV

I didn't think it was possible. I didn't think it was possible to fall so head over heels in a half years time, but here I am.

So in love that it hurts.

It hurts especially in these last few weeks more than anything. Steve has been working really hard these past months.

He won't tell me where he works, but he says it's more than one job. It's starting to slowly eat me alive because he's been working late.

Too late for my liking.

I'm trying to be understanding and not jump to conclusions. I checked the time yet again, but seconds felt like hours.

10:55 pm

"Ugh, baby, where are you?" I whispered to myself before downing another glass of Stotch.

"Talking to yourself again?"

I looked up and saw Bruce fishing through the fridge. I watched from my place on the bar stool as he found a week old muffin and began eating it. He shrugged and we both turned to see Thor stepping into the kitchen as well.

"Seems I'm not the only one up for a midnight snack," he chuckled.

When niether of us laughed, Thor raised a questioning brow.

"I sense a heavy tension in this room," Thor analyzed.

"Something's wrong with Tony," Bruce said easily putting me in the spot light.

"What troubles you, Stark?"

I shook my head and poured myself another glass. They looked at each other and shrugged before I decided to let off some steam.

I slammed my glass on the table, "Do you think Steve is cheating on me?"

They both froze. Bruce's mouth even opened a bit and let chewed up bits of muffin fall to the dark, tile floor. Then they both looked at each other with an unreadable expression.

I looked at them in confusion.

"Something you guys aren't telling me?"

"No."

"That's preposterous."

I didn't believe them. I wanted to keep prying until I knew the truth, but Jarvis' voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Sir, Captain Rogers and Pietro are on their way upstairs."

"Finally! Tell Clint to get his ass up here."

"Right away, Sir."

I wasn't sure if I wanted to hug and kiss Steve when he showed up, or ignore him. I was confused, but I decided to push it aside.

I closed my eyes in a desperate attempt to block everything out. He couldn't be cheating, right? He says he loves me, but he's been acting weird lately.

I didn't even want to think about Steve cheating on me. It made me sick to my stomach. I felt something warm on my back and arms wrapped around my torso.

"Hey, honey," He greeted huskily.

"Hi, Steven."

"I missed you. I'm sorry I had to stay so late," he said holding me. I was just glad I wasn't facing him or I'd break. I'd give in and leave myself vulnerable to heartbreak.

"That's what you said yesterday, and the day before that, and the week before that," I challenged.

"Hey, please don't be mad," he swiveled me around on the twisting barstool, "I love you."