Chapter 10

Zosia

The next couple of months speed by as we enjoy our summer and I do my physical therapy. Last week, the doctor took my boot off and told me to use the cane when walking. He tells me to walk without it a little more each week until I don't need it anymore. I'm so excited!

Dorien still tries to carry me everywhere. I'm indulging myself and letting him do it since he'll be gone in a couple of weeks. I'm going to miss him so much. I'm walking around the block without my cane because I've worked myself to that far. Every day there's a girl on a step a couple of houses down from mine who waves at me as I walk by. I wave back and after a few times, I recognize her as a school mate. The next day when she waves, I stop and walk up to her. "Hi. Carly, right?" She looks stunned that I know her name. "Yea. How are you doing?" She asks. "I'm doing a lot better, thank you. I'm just walking so I can get rid of my cane for good." I tell her.

She smiles at me. "I see you every day. I admire that you can just get up and go like that. If I would just get up like that, I probably wouldn't have this." She says as she grabs her stomach. I know who she is, but I've never really looked at her before. She has bone straight blond hair that hangs down to her waist and she has the clearest blue eyes that I have ever seen. But her eyes look so sad. I wonder what that's about. I respond, "If you want, I can come and get you and we can walk together. I'm only walking a block now, so we can work together and go farther. Eventually, we can even run together."

Her eyes light up. "Really? Why me?" I shrug, "Why not you. You'll keep me company and I help you get fit. We can get to know each other in the process. What do you say?"

"Okay. When do you want to start?" She asks. "Go change and we can start now. I live two houses down, so I just started my walk." I answer. She hops up and goes in the house. A few minutes later, she comes back out wearing a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and a pair of sneakers. I ask her, "Do you have an actual pair of tennis shoes?" She shakes her head. "Those will be okay for now, but after we get to about three blocks, you'll need to have a pair of regular trainers." I lift my foot and show mine to her. "If you want, I'm going shopping with my friend in a couple of days, you can come with us."

She looks at me like she can't believe what's happening to her. "Sure, I would like to go with you." We start walking. She asks me, "How do you know my name, you hang out with all of the popular kids?" "I remember when you came to school about a couple of months before it was out; the teacher introduced you in gym class. Of course, I didn't hang around for much longer after that." I say pointing at my foot. She nods her head. I ask her, "Have you made any friends yet?" "Until you came to talk to me, no one has said anything to me. I ate lunch alone and sat in the corner of every class."

"You can hang out with my friends and me. We're a nice bunch." I ask. "Cool, thanks." She says. We walk around the block getting to know each other and her asking about my eating habits. We get back to her house and I have to sit down for a little bit. I think that I overdid it standing and walking at the same time.

That's where Dorien finds me about ten minutes later. I hear him walking down the street yelling my name. I yell back at him and wave my arms so he can see where I'm sitting. He comes over and stands in front of us and says, "I thought that you had overdone it or something when I didn't see you in the normal time." "I'm fine. I'm just sitting here talking to my new friend Carly. Carly, this is Dorien." "Hey." He gives her a little wave. She looks star struck. I continue, "I met her today when I started my walk. That's why it took me a little longer. She's going to be walking with me." Dorien looks happy about this. "Thank you so much. After the first couple of times that I walked with her, she banned me because I was driving her nuts." Carly works her mouth, but nothing comes out. I smile and pat her on the shoulder. "He won't bite. You'll get used to him after a while. I'm going home now. See you tomorrow at the same time?" She looks at me and nods her head. "See you later." Dorien says. She kind of does a wave thing and hurries into the house.