Chapter 8

Zosia

Doing all of this last minute stuff before we go to the train station is nerve-racking. I made a list two weeks ago and all of my stuff is packed and ready to go. Dorien, on the other hand was completely useless and unorganized. I wish that I had remembered that he was no good at this and I would have made him the same list that I had to make sure that he is organized. Now, he is running back in the house one more time to get his toothbrush. He brushed his teeth this morning, how could he forget his toothbrush?!

Now he is in the car and we are finally on our way. "I can't figure out how you can forget your toothbrush, didn't you just brush your teeth just a little bit ago?" "I can't help it if I'm not as organized as you are. You should have made a list for me also." He says as he grabs my shoulder. "Anything else you need, you will just have to buy when we get there. We don't have time to go back and pick anything else up. We will barely make the train on time as it is." I turn back and look at him. "Now, now stop fussing at him. You knew that he wouldn't be as organized as you. You should have just made his list also and you wouldn't be in this predicament." My mother laughs as she speeds down the road.

We make it to the train just in time. When they see me limping in the boot to get on the train, they upgrade us from first class to a room. It was small, but it had a television and a bed and our own bathroom. We are both tired from our early start and Dorien being unorganized, so we lay down and look at some television and fall asleep. We wake up about four hours later feeling refreshed and ready to go. "Man, I have been sleeping a lot lately." I yawn and stretch. "With everything that has happened and your leg being in a cast and then the boot and school letting out, you need to sleep more than normal. Me, on the other hand have nothing to do if you are sleeping and so I just sleep at the same time you do. Like a newborn." He laughs. I gaze at him, "I am so glad that you are in my life and I am going to miss you so much next year." I put my head on his shoulder and my arm across his chest and give him a hug. He puts his arms around me and hugs me back. I love this man so much.

When we get off of the train and come down the ramp, Grandma Tessie is waiting for us. Dorien runs to her and picks her up, swingings her around in a hug. When he put her down, she has a big grin on her face. "I missed your hugs, sweetie! They are always so enthusiastic!" She turns to me as I reach them. "Hi honey, I heard about what happened. How are you feeling?" I give her a hug. "A lot better thank you. How are you grandma?" "I am doing great! Even better now that you two are here! Ready to go?" I nod my head and Dorien says, "Yes grandma! Can't wait to see everyone!"

We pull up to the house and Dorien tells me to sit tight while he takes in the luggage and will come back out to get me. Since I'm still tired after the train ride, I don't argue. I open the door and turn around in the seat to wait for him. As he's walking back out, I pull the cane out of the car and use it to stand up so I can go and meet him. I wobble as far as I can and he picks me up turning to take me up the walk to go inside the house.

When he takes the 1st step, we hear someone yell, "Not much has changed has it?" Dorien turns us around and we see Tracy and Ron walking toward us with big smiles on their faces. Tracy and Ron are our best friends here, we all hung out every year when we came to visit. I haven't seen either of them in about two years and I'm very happy to see them. In two years, Tracy has grown into a tall blond beauty. I automatically feel small and plain next to her. Ron on the other hand, is tall and dark haired, he's thin but cut. You could see the muscle under his shirt. He grew into a fine hunk of man.

"Hey guys! Good to see you! Follow us inside." Dorien says. We go in the house and he gently sets me down on the couch. They come inside and give us both hugs. "What happened to your leg?" Ron asked as they all sat down. "Crazy girlfriend." I answer pointing at Dorien. "What? No way!" Tracy says.