The Rivalry: Epilogue

Start from the beginning

"One more big one and you're done!" Molly said. "Vivian, ready the wash pan!"

Pain ripped viciously through my entire body as I took a deep breath and pushed hard one last time.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I continued pacing back and forth impatiently. I felt as if I had been doing this forever, but hardly any time has passed since I last checked the time. The sun was still blazing high in the sky.

My head snapped to the door as I heard it open and Vivian poked her head in, a slight blush and a smile on her face.

"We are ready for you now, my king," she said quietly as she opened the door all the way and curtsied.

I looked to Roren and he nodded in encouragement. "Congratulations, Grant," he said as he stood up and clapped me on the shoulder.

I walked swiftly out the door and across the hallway. I stopped before the door as I collected myself. Taking a deep breath, I braced myself and opened the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"It's a boy, my queen," Vivian said as she handed the pink babe to me.

I looked down into the face of my child and my heart instantly doubled in size, or at least it felt as if it did. I was not surprised to see that thin dark hair covered the babe's head. I smiled as I planted a light kiss among the soft, pink skin of his cheek.

"Where is my husband?" I asked quietly as I cradled the small bundle in my arms.

"I am here," I heard his strong, deep voice ring from the other end of the room. I looked up and could not stop the smile that crept onto my face as I saw his beautiful form standing just inside the door way.

"Come meet your son," I said quietly as my eyes locked with his, that familiar fire burning within them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I could not get over the sight that was before me; my beautiful wife, holding my newly born son. I was ecstatic that it was a boy. I would have been ecstatic if it had been a girl, as well. It mattered not to me. All that mattered now was this wife and this child and that they grew healthy and happy.

I walked slowly up to my wife, who cradled a little white bundle. Once I reached the edge of the bed, I sat on it and lifted my hand to my wife's cheek, stroking it gently, completely amazed at the woman before me. She was truly a wonder.

"Grant, I'd like you to meet your son, Landon James LeHarce," she said as she lifted the bundle from her arms and offered it to me.

I looked into her eyes and they were so warm and so loving I nearly got lost in them. I gently accepted the babe as she passed him to me. He was so small and fragile as I cradled him to my chest, my eyes locked on his angelic face. I could already see some of his mother in him.

I smiled as I inclined my head towards his and whispered, "Hello, son."

I hardly caught the coo that left the small boy's lips, but I heard it nonetheless and the soft sound made my chest ache with such strong emotions, I knew I would do everything I could for this little boy.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"How are you feeling today, love?" I heard Grant ask the next morning as I cuddled into his side, still sleepy.

"I am very well. Sore, but I will not complain," I smiled as I nuzzled his side with my nose.

"I cannot get over how beautiful you are. You amaze me, Lynnae," he whispered as he hooked his arms around me and pulled me gently on top of himself.