The Rivalry Chapter 9

I let myself humor the idea that perhaps, somehow, Grant had written the letters. That somehow, he had gotten into my chambers and left the necklace for me, like in my dream. My heart started pounding and my mind whirred - was that even possible?

Entertaining that it was a possibility, I was at the stables in a matter of minutes. I ignored Lance as he tried to assist me.

"Thank you, Lance, but I've got it," I said quickly.

I walked out to the pasture with Cade's bridle. I whistled one long, low note and I heard a snort come from behind me. I turned to see Cade swiftly galloping up to me. I smiled as he came to an abrupt stop inches before me. I patted his nose and slipped on the bridle.

"Sorry Cade, no treats this time. I'll give you double next time," I promised.

I lead him back to the stable and went to grab his saddle blanket but decided against it and grabbed a bareback pad instead, it would do. I didn't feel like lugging his heavy tack up onto him, it would take too long. I wanted to get to the lake as soon as possible, to put this crazy notion in my mind to rest, once and for all.

I led Cade back outside the stable, grabbed his mane and used it to help hoist myself up as I jumped and swung a leg over his back, I'd done this many times. It took me a moment to situate all my bunched up skirts and I was ready.

I kicked his sides and we started off at a trot and then slid into a smooth gallop. I was anxious to get there. I needed to go see who was waiting for me. I knew who I logically thought it was going to be and then I knew who I hoped it to be. Why was I being so foolish?

In a few long minutes, I could see the lake coming into the view. As we reached the side of the lake, I hopped off Cade, hooked the reins over his neck and let him graze. I looked around and became disappointed that I didn't see anybody. All I saw was the lake, the flowers and the beautifully colored trees.

I turned around in a couple circles and still I didn't see anything.

"What in the world..." I said, wondering where they had gone. Maybe I was too late. Or perhaps it was only a trick.

And then I heard his smooth, musical voice laughing at me from behind. I turned and I was once again met with the sight of nothing but the natural scenery.

"Hello Lynnae. It's good to see you again," his detached voice spoke. And then, looking up into the tree nearest me, I saw him. He was sitting upon one of the branches, his back resting against the crown of the tree.

"Grant," I said, smiling.

"It's been much too long," he said. The leaves of the tree started to rustle and then he jumped down from his perch and landed perfectly on his feet, knees slightly bent.

"How long has it been exactly?" I asked. By this time he was standing directly in front of me, looking down into my eyes.

"Oh, I don't know. About....10 hours," he smiled a gorgeous crooked smile at me.

"Impossible, it was only a dream," I breathed.

"Was it?" he said, taking my hands in his. I watched as his hands folded over mine, warm, protecting. His left hand reached into a pocket on his slacks and he pulled out the emerald pendant necklace. He slowly walked behind me and resting the pendant upon my chest, clasped it behind me. His hands lightly brushed my shoulders. Goosebumps ran over my skin as I thought of the first time I had dreamed of him.

"It suits you," he said, more to himself than to me as he moved to face me once more.

"It was only a dream. The necklace is a mere coincidence," I said, not convincing anybody.