Time Running Short

(Reader's POV)

Cupid's voice echoed in my head as I sat on a rock, watching the horizon. It had been hours since Cupid left me with a difficult decision to make. Forget the immoral drinking of one of Sandy's friends. I was faced with having Bunny... or losing him. That was all I could think.

Flashes of the events Bunny and I went through made tears form behind my eyes. His smiles, grins, and kisses were gently reminders of what I could lose or keep.

I continued staring at the cup of blood and sighed. The wind gently tried to blew the pain out of me, but it was no use. This decision practically made my life as it would be or as it was.

Bunny slowly wrapped his arms around my waist. He gently kissed my cheek and pressed himself against me. "Darlin, I ... I support whatever decision you make." His voice was shaky, and that tore me up even more.

"I know you wouldn't say that if I chose not to drink this." It felt like my lungs were working twice as hard just to speak.

Bunny sighed. "I would support that too actually."

I looked at him with slightly raised brows.

He smiled faintly. "When it comes to us, I shouldn't demand anything from you. Love shouldn't ask you to do anything. That's why everything has felt so natural between us."

I bit my lip and embraced him. I fell into the warmth he always gave me. I seemed to melt in his arms. I smothered my face against his Easter-smelling fur.

He stroked my hair. "(_your name_), don't worry about me. I'll always be there." He pointed to my heart. "And I know you'll always be with me. We're a part of each other now."

I swallowed hard. "It sounds like the right thing to do is drink it."

"It's your choice, Darlin'. I'm saying that even if you don't, I'll be fine. I'll always be with you. I'll always be your guardian." He smiled and I embraced him again. "No matter what you decide, I'll be there."

"I just... I just love you so much, Bunny."

His embrace tightened. "I love you, (_your name_). So very much." He seemed to choke on his whispered words. "That's why whatever you choose, I'll support you."

I closed my eyes tightly. "Is it really all up to me?"

I could feel him nod. "You're the one that chooses to drink it or not."

I let out a loud breath. "It's just so hard. I don't want to lose you, but I guess Cupid was right about me being selfish and not concerned about the people that care about me."

"No." Bunny lifted my chin. "You did the right thing. They wouldn't believe you about me."

I smiled faintly. "That's true. But... I just--"

"Want a clear answer?" Pitch stepped forward with a grin.

Bunny took a deep breath and glared at Pitch. "I should've known Cupid was still working with you."

"Ha, now calm down Bunnymund. No one ever said that stupid creature was still with me." Pitch wagged his finger.

"Why are you here?" Bunny stood in front of me, protecting me.

Pitch smiled. "To tell you the truth you fear."

Bunny rolled his eyes. "And what would that be?"

Pitch's eyes landed on me. "(_your name_), you must know that cup will change your entire life, whether you drink it or not."

"Tell me something I don't know." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, dear girl, you're afraid you might make the wrong decision. But it really is quite simple."

"Shut up!" Bunny slightly jumped forward. "What are you trying to do?"

"Oh Bunny this may benefit you, so shut up." Pitch's eyes landed back on me. "Be with the love of your life, or the life you had."

"It's not that simple." I shook my head. "My parents. My friends. My family. I could lose them all."

"Or you could lose everything with Bunny." Pitch seemed to frown. "Drinking it would make you look immoral to the guardians. That is part of the reason why Bunny is having you decide. Because in the end, if he did force you to drink it, he would look like the immoral lunatic."

Bunny's eyes narrowed more at Pitch.

Pitch continued. "However, this choice is ENTIRELY yours. But you won't be able to make the choice again."

"But what about the guardians? I'm sure they didn't have to do this in order to be immortal like they are now." I looked to Bunny for assurance.

Bunny took a deep breath. "We are immortal because we were chosen to be guardians."

My eyes widened. "And I--"

"Will not be chosen to be a guardian." Pitch frowned. "That's simply the way it is."

I lowered my head, staring at the cup on the rock. I saw my own reflection on the cup.

"The blood will only stay good for so long." Pitch stared at me. "You must make a decision soon." He grinned. "But you're still afraid of making the wrong choice. And frankly there is a wrong choice you can make."

(Bunny's POV)

I regret letting Pitch go without some sort of beating. The choice must have been so much harder on (_your name_). I tried to make her smile, but she would only smile faintly, making me miss the smiles I saw not so long ago.

The brilliant and lively smiles that brought me warmth. The smiles that told me she would have a bright future for herself.

I gently kissed her forehead as she stared at the cup. She closed her eyes tightly every time she opened her mouth to say something. I constantly told her that I didn't think it was immoral, she wouldn't have to care about what the other guardians thought, and I supported whatever she chose to do. But she never really replied.

I sighed to myself, thinking about Nightlight and Katherine. They were luckly that they were both chosen to be guardians. I fell in love with a human, and I didn't know how to keep her with me. I knew she was the one for me, and she didn't have to be a guardian for me. I'd love her forever. But I couldn't tell her that now as she faced this decision.

I snuggled up next to her on our leaf bed staring at the sky of the setting sun. She scratched my ears as she continued sitting. I somehow managed to resist touching her. I knew that if I did, I'd only sway her decision and not really let her choose. But then I lost myself.

She placed the cup down and laid down beside me, kissing me with her hand on my cheek. I wrapped my arms around her, kissing her with lingering kisses. She wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed her body tightly against mine. My paws caressed the small of her spine and stroked her hair as I kissed her neck.

She kissed my ear, and my hands began touching her sides, caressing them from almost every angle. I smothered my face against her neck as her fingers slightly raked my back.

I kissed her forehead and she smothered herself up against me.

She sighed. "Sorry about that."

I wrapped my arms around her. "Don't be." I kissed her forehead again.

She kissed me. Our eyes locked and her beautiful eyes were the only thing holding me now. Those beautiful (_eye color_) eyes. My eyes stay maginitized to them. I felt like I could stay staring at them forever.

I recalled when (_your name_) first grabbed onto my ankle and slid into my warren. How angry but happy was that she was there. Angry because she wasn't a child and she was in my warren, but happy because she had the light of hope and joy in her and she was in my warren. I knew that even though she was in a new place with a six foot one tall rabbit, she felt safe and sound.

Her eyes brought me back to where we really were.

"I've made up my mind."