The Alter Ego Part 2

Jawbreaker trailed after Gumball who walked curtly into his lab.

"What in Glob's name is wrong with you?" Gumball exclaimed. "You know how sensitive candy people are!"

Even though Jawbreaker didn't want to say it, he knew when he was at fault. "I'm sorry. The beat of the music just got to me." He said with a lopsided smile.

Marshall floated around the room, avoiding joining in the conflict. But of course, things never went his way. "And what exactly were you doing in my kingdom?" Gumball whirled around to face Marshall, pointing his finger at him accusingly.

Marshall raised up his hands defensively. "Ask minty over there." He jutted his chin towards Peppermint Butler who hung in the doorway, allowing the slightest bit of regret to show on his face. "I'm terribly sorry, sir." He apologized, bowing a bit then sighing in defeat. "I thought that he may have behaved for at least a few hours, but what should I have expected?" He shook his head and gave Marshall a meaningful look.

Marshall's eyes showed a flicker of remorse. Both Gumball and Jawbreaker raised their eyebrows in unison, giving Marshall a curious look as they noticed the rare expression.

"What?" Marshall asked them, slightly irritated.

Jawbreaker saved his partner in crime. "Hey Marshall. Wanna help me find out answers." He said, giving him a sly smile. "Like we used to." He added for emphasis.

Marshall gave a toothy grin and he nodded his head eagerly. "What do you want to find o-" He began but was cut off by Gumball.

"What exactly do you mean by 'Like we used to'??" Gumball asked, appalled by the ideas that were coming to mind.

"Don't worry about it." Jawbreaker said, his sly smile growing wider, making Gumball's eyes narrow in suspicion. "You want to know about the mysterious light by the forest, right?"

"Yes..." Gumball responded uncertainly, not liking where this was going.

"Then leave it to us. You want answers, we'll get them. Just don't tell us how to do it." He stated.

Gumball sighed and threw his hands up in frustration. "Fine! Do as you please. The sooner we find Fionna, the better."

Jawbreaker gave Marshall a triumphant smile. "Shall we go?" He asked, heading towards the palace door.

"Oh I'm ready." Marshall said, cracking his knuckles as he followed Jawbreaker. He needed to unwind anyway.

~*~
Candy Tavern

Marshall and Jawbreaker flung open the doors with a bang and everyone stopped what they were doing to look at them in horror. They hadn't been to the Candy Tavern in a while. Nostalgic memories came back to the both of them.

"Long time no see!" Jawbreaker exclaimed, smirking at them.

The awkward silence continued and a cough was heard here and there.

Marshall sighed and walked towards the bar, plopping down on one of the stools. "Wow. Surprise Surprise." A man muttered as he walked up towards him. "I never thought I'd see you around here again."

Marshall raised an eyebrow at him, not particularly liking this man, but knowing he had answers. "I have questions. And I need answers." Marshall stated matter-of-factly, the demanding, I mean business side of him coming out.

The man let out a small laugh, "Straight to the point as always. What do you want to know?"

Marshall and this man used to do business together, not something he was particularly proud of, but hey, a vampire had to do what a vampire had to do. Anyway, this guy pretty much fucked up, and Marshall had to go out of his way to save his sorry ass. He was indebted to him and Marshall took full advantage of that. "There has been a mysterious light deep in the forest, people have been disappearing. I want you to find out why and how."

The man sucked in a breath. "That's a tricky thing to find out..." He began, daring to try and reject Marshall. Marshall gave him his best glare, beginning to transform into his bat form. "But!" He yelled, desperately motioning for Marshall to stop his transformation. "I'll try my best to find out what I can."

"Good." Marshall said curtly, swinging himself off the bar stool, and heading towards Jawbreaker who had a somewhat familiar candy person cornered.

No one around them seemed to notice, or more like they didn't dare notice. "I know that you know!" Jawbreaker said between clenched teeth, his voice just above a growl.

Jaybird had his hands by his sides and struggled to keep them still. Marshall smirked behind him, amused by the situation.

"Look," Jaybird began, his voice quivering, "all I know is that Ice Queen would be standing around where the lights usually flashed."

"What do you mean 'usually'?" Gumball pressed, yet again decreasing the space between them. Cornering the poor ice cream cone against the wall.

"I- I don't know!" He yelled. "They appear and disappear in different spots. Depending what phase the moon is in!"

Jawbreaker stopped and looked deep in thought. When the moon was in a phase, the portal or whatever it was would appear in a particular zone? What could that mean? He shook his head and stared hard at the paling cone. "Anything else?" He stressed.

"N-no." Jaybird stuttered.

Jawbreaker gave him one final glance before whirling around and yelling over his shoulder, "It better be, because if I find out you're lying, you'll regret it."

Marshall looked at Jaybird, pounding his fist into his open hand and giving him a devious smirk before turning around and following Jawbreaker out the door.