Chapter 5

Whorls of steam trailed after me as I stepped out of the bathroom and into the sleeping quarters that were adjoined to it. The room itself was quaint; medium in size, with a single bunk bed pushed up against the wall, the bottom bunk was shrouded in darkness but I could just make out the various stickers and photographs tacked on the walls surrounding the bed. All in all, the place was comfortably messy; the only thing untouched by the chaos of my roommate (who had yet to make an appearance) was a state of the art computer system that took up most of the back wall.

Shrugging off the damp towel I had been wearing, I nimbly leapt onto the top bunk and burrowed my body in the depths of the duvet. I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep until I was woken by the slam of the room's door. My heart was going a mile a minute and after listening intently for the telltale signs of a heartbeat in the room, I came up with nothing. I sat up, my body stiff with anticipation and my mind only stirring away from finding a possible threat in order to cover my naked breasts with the duvet. Not all living things need a heart. My eyes warily scoped the room from my birds-eye vantage point. Still nothing.

"Are you fucking kidding me right now?" a voice hissed from the other side of the door.

"I thought we agreed that under no fucking circumstances was I to be put with another person. Let alone her; she's deadweight!" the voice whisper-yelled, oozing barely-contained irritation. I could only assume that I was the "deadweight" in question.

"Language. I would have thought you'd like her Shae, she's pretty enough. What with you being a queer..." The contempt was evident and the voice unmistakable; Ramsey.

Clearing his throat he continued, " You are under my roof Shae and as such you'd do well to remember that what I say, goes. You got that?"

He was met with silence, but the anger radiating from the woman he'd addressed as Shae, was palpable. Suddenly the door burst open and the naked bulb in the room burned with life. I snapped my eyes shut; I didn't want to get caught ease dropping. I tried to steady my breathing and give the illusion of slumber. The door was kicked shut, with more force than necessary.

"Sleep tight" Ramsey called from the other side of the door, his footsteps retreating and eventually becoming nothing.

"Wow. You must have done a number on him for him to room you with me." She stated. There was the crinkle of plastic and a spongey object catapulted off of my forehead.

She laughed, "I know you're not sleeping. I made enough noise to wake the dead. I was hoping to talk to you." I gingerly peeked, and found a warm pair of brown eyes looking back at me. Her skin was a few shades cooler than her dark eyes and the tightly coiled tendrils of hair that grew from her shaved scalp had been dyed a peach colour. It was the bartender from downstairs.

Despite her inviting gaze, her eyes burned with mischief and knowing; she was definitely one to watch; especially if she was making such a big deal about my sharing her room. I needed to keep a low profile until I came up with a plan of action.

Her slim fingers peppered tobacco on a tiny white piece of paper.

"Could you be a doll and pass me my filter back?" she said. The projectile that she'd thrown at my forehead moments ago, I picked up the stubby sponge that had settled near my elbow. Throwing it back at her, I was surprised when she swiftly snatched it from the air between two fingers.

"Thanks toots" she said nodding in my direction before sealing her cigarette with a quick lick. She curved her body away from me and when she was facing me again her cigarette was lit.

Taking a long drag she exhaled, slowly. She examined me, her eyes roaming lazily but I got the sense that nothing escaped her notice. Her eyes were sharp and wise set against the backdrop of a cherubically youthful face. She couldn't be more than 22 at least.