Feels Like the First Time...

I glance around the locker room quickly. It doesn't look like anyone is looking, so I peel off my shirt to change, trying to move quickly.

From behind me a voice asks: "What the hell happened to your back man?" It's Garett the line-backer, should've known his nosey ass would say something.

And here I thought no one was looking. I spin around to face him quickly, putting my back up against my locker. "Um, you know. Fell down the stairs."

That was a crap answer. My teammates start to look over. "Looks like...scratch marks man." Garett half-chuckles.

Shit. "Oh that? I, uh, I got attacked by my cat." I spit out. Not a lie, if you consider making out with Andrew the same as getting attacked by a cat.

Some of my teammates are gathering around, encircling me. "You said you didn't own any pets." Johnny Duncan grunts. God, why did he have to be in this conversation? He's always hated me, even before I came out.

"What's with the third-degree guys?" I breathe, trying to seem cool. "What do you care anyway."

One of the Sophomore newbies is getting up in my face, looking like I just insulted his mother. "I don't know 'bout you guys, but I care 'cause I don't want to see any of that gay crap at football."

"Hey I don't--"

Johnny cuts me off, shoving my face into my locker and pinning my back with his knee. I groan as he hisses out: "fuckin' queer, isn't it bad enough we have to be on the same team as a faggot without you shoving it in our face?"

"I'm not shoving anything..." I grumble, my mouth against the metal. "Maybe you're the fag for watching me change."

"Yeah you fuckin' wish Danton." Another guy laughs. They're all really close now, and I start to get the feeling this is going to end in a lot of broken things. "Look, the fact is, we don't want you being our captain anymore. We think it's shit that you're even allowed to play, being a fairy and all. You're basically a girl."

They laugh. "Yeah, and we don't want to see the scratches left from you screwing your twig of a boyfriend." Someone else chirps in.

I think they might be enjoying this too much. "Come on guys you're being ridiculous just get off me." My words sound like a kid who just got their braces.

I feel Duncan ease up slightly and I start to move as he slams my head back into the locker. I wince sharply, feeling my eye-smacking against the rivet in the door. I fall to the ground, hitting it like a sandbag. In a quick motion I turn around to back hand him, but they all start to scatter before I even get up.

The door closes and I hear footsteps coming towards me. It's coach Reese, great. "Danton," he yells. "Can I talk to you real quick."

I grab my jersey and throw it on quickly, then rush over, pushing through a sea of football players.

I take a deep breath when I reach him. "Yeah coach?" I ask.

He sighs and rests one foot on the bench in front of me. "Son, I'm going to have to be very blunt about this." He taps a pen on a clipboard. "A couple of the guys have been giving complaints. They don't feel...comfortable, changing around you."

I raise one eyebrow. "They don't feel comfortable? Did you not see what just happened?"

He shakes his head, scrunching up his face. "No, what happened?"