"Kagami, Senjus can never be trusted," his father told him the day he knew about it, after dinner.

The curly haired boy sighed. "Otousama, I agreed so that I would become stronger," he stated. "I want to be strong enough to lead the Clan one day."

Madara ruffled the boy's hair with affection. "Be careful around them," he advised. "Especially your new sensei."

"Hai, I will."

Not long after that, Kagami had gained his sharingan from one of his missions with his teammates. He had gone home in a petrified state; it was as if he had notice the person they were escorting had been slaughter in front of his eyes. His sensei looked at him as his eyes bled to red with a single tomoe. Gone with his shinobi dignity, he ran to his father as soon as he reached the Uchiha compound and he hugged him as the tears fell from his eyes. The sharingan had not been deactivated the whole time. He cried and cried, clutching to his father's yukata as if his life depends on it.

The elder Uchiha returned the embrace and whispered soothing words until the boy calmed down and passed out, exhausted.

He was only twelve when his mother's life had been robbed from him. He didn't know the details but he did know it was an assassination. He cried. His father had once told him that he was like his mother, putting her heart on her sleeves.

By the time the funeral had started, Kagami adopt the same look as his father did.

Hallow.

Emptiness.

At the age of twelve, he was an orphan, branded as the traitor's son, stripped from the title heir to the clan leader. And he was just Kagami. Uchiha Kagami son of the derange Uchiha Madara.

: - : - : - : - : - : - : - : - :

Sasuke mentally groaned when there was no water. How was he going to shower after a long day of just doing chores? With only with a pair of pants and grey t-shirt - and a bag of his usual clothes - he went to the hot springs.

He placed his items - including his forever-attached-katana in the wooden shelf and removed his clothes, replacing it with a small towel that covered his manhood. He peered into the hot spring and felt relief that it was empty.

The Uchiha removed his towel, setting it aside and dipped into the bath. He closed his eyes and a soft sigh escaped his lips. Kami, this was heaven. This was all he needed not after what had happened the day before.

Fuck.

He's an asshole. His cold heart broke when she cried. Physical damage didn't par with the sight of Hinata's tear streaked face. He did told her that he would leave her alone. He just didn't want to be in her way to happiness. He had done enough damage in the past that made her miserable.

"Please Sasuke-kun. Let me go. Save me from my misery."

How ironic. Itachi and Sasuke are heartbreakers in the end. Just look at Hana and you would know how much she missed his brother, clutching to the promise that will never be fulfilled. He wondered, is it worth the trouble - getting hurt? One that even the greatest medical nin couldn't heal.

Sasuke loved his brother, even after knowing that he killed their family. He loved him like any family should. And Hinata was family.

He collected his composure as he saw from the corner of his eyes, a group of people entering - it was male members of Konoha 13 excluding Lee who was probably training again, they were loud too. They stared at him, some glared while the rest had ridiculous look on their faces - except for Sai. Sasuke glared back at them.

Really? Out of all the places, it had to be here.

The tense silence was broken when Naruto shouted, "Teme! Finally got out of the compound, I see." He wriggled his eyebrows in a teasing manner. "Or you're here to see something else."

Sasuke scoffed. "Don't compare me to yourself. Sakura is going to kill you if she caught you peeping at her, Dobe."

He moved toward the small stools at the side, Sai trailed behind. "I didn't know you care, Teme. You know what they say about Uzumaki charm."

"You mean your -" Sasuke's doppelganger started but was cut off with Naruto's shrill yelling.

Then it went to normal, they were ignoring him, filling the room with mindless chatter. Irritated by this, Sasuke stood up and wrapped the towel around his waist to leave but his steps were halted when he heard: "Hinata was crying yesterday."

"Did you ask why?" her teammate, Kiba asked.

"She said it was just dust in her eyes," was the quiet reply.

Sasuke ignored the guilt in his chest and walked towards the men's changing room but it was blocked by certain Hyuuga prodigy. "Move, Hyuuga."

"Stay away from Hinata-sama," Neji threaten. "She already hurt with you backing Konoha, it's like stabbing her with a kunai."

The Uchiha smirked. "Why? Is she your fiancée?"

"I don't think of her in such way." The Hyuuga glared. "You should really be careful where you play with fire."

Before Sasuke could fire back a retort, the ground shook. This caused the shinobi to rush and wore their clothes in hurry. As soon as they gone out, chaos happened. The villagers were screaming and running, smoke emerge near the main gate. They jumped to the rooftop to get a better view of the scene.

Sasuke had taken notice that the kunoichi were there too. He strode over to Hinata not caring that it was just yesterday that he told her he would leave her alone. He pulled her arm for attention. Worry attach to their faces, "I don't care whatever happens, stay alive."

"I plan not to." Hinata reached up to touch his cheek but her hand recoiled - this action did not go unnoticed. "Don't do anything reckless."

"Hinata, I -" Hana appeared behind them with the Three Haimaru Brothers, interrupting Sasuke. The both of them jumped a mile away from each other.

The Konoha 13 turned towards the jounin with questionable looks. "Orders from Hokage-sama, those who rank chuunin or lower, evacuate the villagers," she relayed. "Jounin, you are requested to stop the intruders - the Akatsuki."

After a series of 'Hai', they broke away from the group leaving Hana and Sasuke. "I'm going to release a part of the seal. Once I've unseal, it can't be sealed back," she said, holding two fingers up and extend her hand to touch the seal. The Uchiha closed his eyes and felt like a lock had been unlock, granting him access to the Mangekyo Sharingan. "I have unlocked a quarter of the Sharingan's capabilities. If you want the rest back, I suggest you to save the village."

All he need now is to convince The Godaime and Kakashi to give him his Eternal Mangekyo (1) back.

Sasuke opened his eyes slowly revealing the Mangekyo and nodded. Hana moved towards the main gate, her canine companions stayed loyal by her side but stopped and looked over her shoulder.

"Oh and Sasuke," she called back. "I don't expect you to leave the village again. Think about Hinata and what it would do to her."

Red eyes darted towards the person bearing a black coat with red clouds. He was running towards where Hinata had disappeared to with Sakura. Locking his gaze on the figure, he ran after the intruder.

Hinata.

: - : - : - : - : - : - : - : - :

(1) In this story he's 17-18. A lot of things can happen before he killed Itachi.

Next time on Never Alone, Ever Again

"Go now, Hinata. I'll hold him off. Get Naruto or Kakashi or anyone."

"I'll kill you myself if you die this time."

"Naruto, I'll help you just this once."

"Gomen, Sasuke-kun but I have to break my promise."