Chapter 16- Return to the Light

Shadow never liked playing babysitter to Eggman whenever the crazy villain is up to no good, especially when it concerns his rival Sonic. The black hedgehog can see that if by chance Sonic was injured in battle or is about to be defeated by some other villain, Shadow would intervene for the blue hedgehog in order to save his life. No matter if he would be praised for being a hero or be shunned because he did something horrible that no one can understand, Shadow is fine with being what Sonic and Silver call a anti-hero in which he may not be a good guy but he is not a bad guy either, sort of a "in between" deal for the serious hedgehog.

Now he has to be a hero in the world's time of need since that Sonic mysteriously vanished to who knows where. Shadow became infuriated at the result, not that he doesn't like being the center of attention once in a while, but he thought that Sonic should have been able to deal with the threat by himself. Sometimes, the black hedgehog wonders how the heck Sonic failed to see the threat coming, and now he knows the reason why.

As he stares into the eyes of his new opponent who looks like his rivals evil twin, Shadow couldn't wait to teach this guy a cold hard lesson. He sometimes glances right over to Amy's direction, feeling a sense of dread as he gazes into her eyes. He couldn't decide if he should pity the girl for her decision to side with the enemy, no matter what she would do, he needed to find a way to snap her out of her trance.

Shadow hears EXE sneering at him. "So you are the one who dares to ruin my fun?"

The black hedgehog cracked a cocky smile. "It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Lets see how long you last until you break, Sonic wannabe." He begins charging his hands as he concentrates on aiming his next attack at the villain. "Chaos blast!" Shadow shoots a blazing fireball straight toward the enemy.

EXE managed to dodge the attack and dashes at a high speed toward his opponent, trying to slash at him with his sharp claws or give a powerful kick to his gut. Shadow dodges the slash attacks as best as he could but he didn't anticipate the kick as it pushes him back a couple of inches. Shadow would have slammed into the wall if it wasn't for his shoes skidding to a halt. The sound of the sharp blades on his shoes made a loud hiss.

"You may think that you are a powerful foe, but I am the ultimate life form!" Shadow exclaims as he charges up another attack and aims the dark fireball right toward the ceiling above the enemy.

EXE noticed that little mishap the black hedgehog had done and laughed out loud. "Did you purposely miss me, mortal? I thought that you could do better than that."

"Oh, don't worry. I did make it better." Shadow assures the dark blue hedgehog with a cocky grin. EXE cocked an eyebrow, confused by what Shadow meant until he felt a few specks of rock slamming onto his head. Small at first, but then it slowly turns into bigger rocks coming down from the ceiling. EXE looks up to see where the falling rocks are coming from, but he is a few seconds too late to react in time before the parchment of the ceiling gave away and falls straight toward the immobile hedgehog who is not moving from his spot.

The huge rubble from the ceiling crushed him underneath its prison.

Shadow waited to see if his opponent is going to break out from the rocky prison, but as the smoke from the impact cleared away, he didn't see any sign that the rocks were moving.

"Are you sure that is going to keep him down for a long period of time?" Knuckles voice called out to Shadow from the other side of the area. The black hedgehog turns his gaze to see that the Echidna has gotten himself back up on his feet. The unconscious Sally is held by Knuckles' arms as he carefully carries her on his shoulders by wrapping her arms around him. "EXE can't die, Shadow. Even Tails, Sally, and I could not kill him."